Why become a member? ×

Posting a bass to the States

krzysztof

Tried searching for this topic but not found one. Mods please re direct if this is the wrong forum. 

I want to send a bass to the states and wondering if anyone has done so before. I’ve sent a few in the UK before had no issues. Are there any companies anyone could recommend or steer me away from when it comes to posting to the States. 

I’ll be sending it in a regular hiscox case and will probably bubble wrap and cardboard it too just in case.

thanks in advance peeps

K

I’ve posted basses and amps to the US before. I think I’ve always used UPS. As long as it’s packed securely, it’ll be fine. I remember it being really expensive though, with the customs and all. 

Edited by PawelG

I bought a bass from the US. IIRC the courier used was UPS - I believe the biggest courier in the world with the fifth biggest fleet of aircraft in the world. 

I would suggest packing the bass with as much bubble wrap as possible inside the case, wrapping the case in bubble wrap before encasing in cardboard. A second cardboard case wouldn't hurt. In this case more is better. No false economies - go with the established couriers.

• Like 1

I have never imported a musical instrument into the United States but I did order a large-format camera from a U.K. supplier a few years ago. Three comments:

1. It is vital that the information on the customs declaration be correct, especially the HS tariff number. Supporting documentation (invoices, for example) should be clear and consistent.

2. Communication with the recipient to double-check paperwork and all arrangements is time well spent.

3. As The Greek wisely says, avoid false economies. Adequate insurance, adequate packaging and experienced couriers minimise the risks considerably.

Obviously, if the bass is made from any materials covered by CITES appendices I or II, the exporting process is much more complicated.

Hope that helps, Krzysztof.