Why become a member? ×

Travel bass conversion

tomthebass

Hi folks,

Couple of people suggested I share this trick which means I can play (mini)bass wherever I travel...having looked at a few of the headless bodiless travel bass options etc which didn't appeal and are still a bit long to get into a reasonably sized suitcase, decided to see if I could butcher one of these ultra short scale kids Samick Corsair basses (see pic). Picked this one up from gear4music for £139. It's a small bass with short 26.5" scale and takes a little getting used to, but sounds fine despite the obviously slightly flabby string tension.

After removing the strings, I removed the neck screws, and drilled out the holes in the back of the neck to 7mm to allow M5 bolt inserts to be screwed into the wood with an allen key. I did the drilling very carefully, increasing the bit size mm by mm to ensure the holes would remain centred on the holes in the heel of the body. Once this was done, it was just a case of drilling out the holes in the heel to accept the M5 bolts, then reassemble and hey presto!

The next refinement was simply to replace the bridge with a used one from a fellow BC-er that has slots so the string ball ends can be dropped in and out for easy removal rather than having to stretch out the machine head windings of the strings to get them through bridge holes. Needed to do a bit of hand routing to get the bridge height correct because the new one was a lot more chunky!

Pics attached below. I've now disassembled and reassembled about a dozen times, with no issues of neck bolt tightness because it's metal on metal. Takes under ten minutes to reassemble, string up and tune. Don't have the neck length to hand right now but will update this when I get a chance to measure it.

Not suggesting you try this on your favourite vintage full scale bass! But thought I would share as it works for me and allows me to groove and learn songs wherever I get dragged. Now I've lived with this one for a while I'm going to try it on a slightly larger bass with 31 inch scale with a neck that still fits diagonally in my bigger suitcase!

Happy playing and fire away with questions 😉

Tom

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

• Like 4