foxyFuze

NPAD: Straight Ahead Power amp

Posted (edited)

Greetings all!

In  quest to find a lightweight, public transport-friendly amp for rehearsals and small gigs, I took a chance on sourcing one of these from the US.

Spec as below (with measurements obviously put into metric):

12.7 x 17.8cm
0.7kg
500 watts @ 4 ohms, 300 watts @ 8 ohms.  
THD less than .1%.
Full array of protections built in against shorted output, over temperature, DC fault (for speaker protection), over/under supply voltage etc. 
Tonally transparent with no unwanted coloration. 

Not sure how much depth one can go into for such things, not being a power amp aficionado, but this really does do what you need it do. Very quiet (aside from some fan noise discernible up close) and bloody loud. The fact that it's tiny and light is a big bonus too.  Photos above my amp give an idea of scale;  If my hefty valve amp had feelings, it'd be a wee bit anxious about its place in the pecking order right now....

I bought this after enquiring on Jay's Facebook page; even after postage and customs this came in at around £265.  There may be other similar products for less money but lower power (TC Electronics) or bigger, more powerful items (GSS Baby Sumo) but this really does do the job for something you can have in a studio or slipped into your gig bag. 
Please do send a message if you'd like to know more.

https://www.facebook.com/straightaheadamp/

SA 1.jpg

SA 2.jpg

Edited by foxyFuze
  • Like 1

There are a few mentions of the older version online it seems, but this is the newer model. Very happy!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By tonyxtiger
      Selling my CA6. It’s a Beast for bass. Huge bottom end delivery from the transformer. Beat most other amps I owned, including big valve one.
      Power delivery from 350 to 1500 Watts  
      Used but in full working condition. Always kept in a new swan flight case. £100
      Can ship insured for £20
      flight case not included but if you want it let me know and can sort something out as the weight will add to the shipping. 

• By Timjoris
      Hi,
      Up for sale this Demeter Minnie 8ooD. £600 UK postage included. Bought it on here together with a Jules Monique Dove cage preamp. Was as new and still is, as I only used the Monique. 
      If you're looking at this, you probably know what it is about. Small, powerful boutique amp that would fit in your bass gig bag pocket. No trades please.
      Thanks.

Here are the details from Demeter's website.
      This unit proves once and for all the size doesn't matter. This 3.5 pounder is definitely a lightweight, but packs a mean 800 watt punch. At only 10" x 6" x 2", you can literally fit this amazing sounding power amplifier in a suitcase. Using the latest in Class D amplification, we have created a miniature monster that delivers 800 watts RMS into 4 ohms. This versatile unit can be coupled with any preamp, but we would strongly recommend trying the Minnie out with our VTBP-201 or a Jule Monique Preamp. 

Power Amp Specifications
      Input (power amp): 1/4" Line Level Input (can be trimmed to match any pre)
      Outputs (power amp): Speakon (2) & 1/4" Speaker (1)
      Output impedance (power amp): 4 ohm, 8 ohm, 16 ohm
      Output Power (power amp): 800 watt RMS @ 4 ohms, 500 watt RMS @ 8 ohms
    • By alzamatt
      Selling one of the best of the d class power amp, clear and respectful power amp, 1600 watt in a 6 kg power amp.
      only me as owner, bought directly in USA through station music 
      I am interested only in selling, not trade 
      here there is the description from the Demeter site
      HB-1600D a revolutionary new design. Using tubes and Jensen adudio transformers to drive our high quality class D power Amplifiers we get the best of both worlds. Compact light weight with massive power. Class D amplification with the warmth that can only come from classic tube /Transformer Design. Using only the highest quality components including Jensen audio transformers  as well as WIMMA Audio caps metal film resistors and 200 volt DC supply to our Electro Harmonix tubes. This unit puts out 500 watts per channel into 8 ohms and over 800 watts per channel into 4 ohms 1600 watts in stereo.  This unit has 3 pin and TRS inputs jaxs and  1/4" and Speakon connectors the for Speaker outputs. All this fits into a single space rack and weighs 12 lb.
    • By simonroberts788
      This power amp is a 1980s pre-Fender SWR Stereo 800 and was modded by Pete Cornish no less to have Speakon outputs. These was the power section from the top of the range SWR heads of the era. Its output ratings are 800 watts at 4 ohms bridged, 700 watts at 8 ohms bridged, 400 watts per side at 2 ohms stereo, 350 watts per side at 4 ohms stereo, 220 watts at 8 ohms stereo. Needless to say it's a beefy sounding amp with plenty of power and the ability to use the full 800 watts at 4 ohms bridged is ideal. The inputs are XLR or unbalanced jack and each channel has a slave out so you can route channel A into channel B for dual mono operation. The amp has a pair of internal fans for cooling and the casing is fairly worn but it works perfectly and sounds really fat. The right hand rack ear is a bit bent but this does not affect mounting at all.  Powering on the unit comes with a thump like a thumb slap to the E string of your bass. I've been assured by an experienced amp technician that this will not damage an appropriately rated speaker cab. Check out the forum entries for this amp - it's extremely well regarded with excellent reliability and tone. Weighs around 10 kg on its own. Happy to post at cost. £225 or near offer.