Why become a member? ×

Ibanez GSR200 Modding

Dry

Hi,

I have an Ibanez GIO GSR200 Soundgear from (I think) 2004 (serial I0411 11068). This is now my backup and mostly sits in its bag. I don't want to get rid of it because the neck seems lovely and the action can be really low (which I like) without any fret buzz. However, to my, admittedly untrained, ears the overall sound of it leaves a lot to be desired. The E string is really boomy and particularly so above the 5th fret and the volume decreases significantly on the D and G strings. This is with new strings (rounds), the Phat EQ thingy off and both pickups on. At first I thought this was purely due to incorrect pickup heights so I've tried messing with them but honestly can't really hear any difference. Adjusting the pickup height is not easy because I think the springs have degraded - there is hardly any movement when unscrewing them though they do move up and down if pulled/pushed. So, to my question: is it possible/worthwhile upgrading the pickups on this thing? If so, how easy is it to do? Any good videos or tutorials you can point me to? And where would I buy new pickups and how would I know they would fit ?

The answer is yes, but before spending money on pickups, it is probably worth a bit more investigation on the issue.

Have you got the same volume drop on both pickups?

Have you changed the battery?  The Phat EQ is always in circuit so the battery will affect it whether or not it is turned up.

What are the distances of the G and E strings from their respective pickup tops?

Getting the pickups to lift properly is an easy fix if they are too low.  The next thing I would do, again a easy fix if you're OK with a soldering iron, would be to bypass the Phat pot altogether.

If you can let us know ref the above questions, I'm sure we can guide you through to the easiest and cheapest fixes.

My daughter has the same bass and I have to say that it sounds great with the standard pick ups. I was at a battle of the bands type event when she was on bass and it was the only bass that could be heard clearly. 

It is all stock but I have set it up for her and would happily gig it myself.

So, I'm guessing it's likely to be a set up issue with your one. I would advise in the first instance, getting it set up properly and at the same time get those pick up springs sorted out.

If it's still not to your liking, then would be the time to consider replacement pick ups. :)

Thanks. It was setup professionally, um, about 5 years ago and not really played much since then.

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Have you got the same volume drop on both pickups?

Yes.

Have you changed the battery?  The Phat EQ is always in circuit so the battery will affect it whether or not it is turned up.

Not for a while That could be significant. I didn't think about it but IIUC there is no 'passive standby' (?) - I don't know how to phrase that properly.

What are the distances of the G and E strings from their respective pickup tops?

Fretted at the last one the E is (P/J)  ~3mm and ~2mm and the G is ~2mm and ~2mm.

Getting the pickups to lift properly is an easy fix if they are too low.  The next thing I would do, again a easy fix if you're OK with a soldering iron, would be to bypass the Phat pot altogether.

I'd certainly be interested in this because I've never used it.

2 hours ago, gary mac said:

So, I'm guessing it's likely to be a set up issue with your one. I would advise in the first instance, getting it set up properly and at the same time get those pick up springs sorted out.

Okay. I see there is a recommended luthiers thread somewhere on here so I'll see if I can find someone in Norfolk/Suffolk/N Essex.

Edited by Dry

2 hours ago, Dry said:

Thanks. It was setup professionally, um, about 5 years ago and not really played much since then.

Yes.

Not for a while That could be significant. I didn't think about it but IIUC there is no 'passive standby' (?) - I don't know how to phrase that properly.

Fretted at the last one the E is (P/J)  ~3mm and ~2mm and the G is ~2mm and ~2mm.

I'd certainly be interested in this because I've never used it.

Okay. I see there is a recommended luthiers thread somewhere on here so I'll see if I can find someone in Norfolk/Suffolk/N Essex.

I'm in Herts but that's a bit of a trek for you.

If it is affecting both pickups, and judging that those pickup to pole distances are certainly not completely out of order, then it is not likely that the pickups that are giving you the problem.

Apols for the poor picture, but the circuit is probably this one:

GSR200.jpg.6d2d131699d5598bd9e3efc5b34d7673.jpg

The Phat pot is the one at the far right before the jack.  As you can see, all of the signals go through there on the way to the jack, so a failing battery would affect all of the tones all of the time (and a fully dead battery would mean no signal at all).

So easiest first step is put a new battery in and see if it helps.

If that doesn't help, then what I would personally do next would be to simply bypass the Phat pot. 

In simple terms, that means taking the earth coming from the tone pot direct to the earth tag on the output jack and taking the 'hot' coming from the volume pot direct to the tip tag of the output jack.

In more detail, referring to the above diagram, I would:

- take the battery out and desolder all the connections off the jack (the black from the battery and the black and yellow from the Phat) and off the Phat pot.

- then solder the black that originally came from the Tone pot to the Phat, instead, direct to the earth tag of the output jack. 

- Then solder the 'hot' green that originally came from the volume pot to the Phat, instead, direct to the tip tag of the output jack. 

The ring tag on the output jack should now have nothing attached 

(Note the colours I refer to correspond to the diagram.  The wires in yours maybe different colours but, whatever colours they have used, you should be able to follow the wires from and to the same places.)

Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, itu said:

If the height adjustment does not work well, probably the foam under the pickups is dead. It is possible to replace the foam with springs or just a new foam.

Yes, thank you. I'm working up the courage to take them out to take look :)