Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Fretless

chrkelly

Bought one of these blind off the internet last week and would would like to say hats off to Squier for making an incredible instrument at a truly incredible price. If anyone has ever wanted a fretless this is definitely the place to start looking. I always need one for work, but having borrowed my friends' basses for the past few years, I finally figured I needed my own. Being completely skint and having a show with a pretty difficult fretless part coming up fast the Squier seemed a good deal at £219. It obviously needed a severe set up and new strings when it arrived but apart from that, damn this bass is good. Slightly uneven fingerboard around the botom C on the A string that needs careful fingering to avoid a bit of buzz but apart form that, stunning! Tons of mwah and the usual passive jazz versatility. I've used it on a few rehearsals this week and this bass definitely cuts it. I'd also happily turn up to a recording session with this bass, it really sings! I'd prefer to have a rosewood/ebony fingerboard (the ebanol is a tad bright and synthetic for my liking) but for that price I can't complain. I know the quality of cheap far eastern instruments vary a lot, but if you get a decent one, for £219 its an absolute steal!

Bloody Squier! They're not allowed to release stuff like this when I'm moving house and so am absolutely flat broke.

I'm not sure I can justify a fretless for any gigging purposes, but I wouldn't mind having one for funsies and £195 (Dolphin Music) is so sorely tempting...