Why become a member? ×

Not a Bass

Si600

I'm going to start this here because it involves wood, but feel free to move it. It may become a diary, who knows 😉

I'm going to be building a window seat and whilst the bulk of my bad carpentry will be hidden there will be two sides that will have to have exposed endgrain. Now, the question I have is how do I ensure that it's nice and neat without the little flakey bits that come off every time I cut a length of wood nor look like the surface of a sponge. Most of my experience has been working with B&Q pine boards so I suspect I may need a different timber for the public bits.

Suggestions on a epostcard 😉

On 24/07/2019 at 10:45, Si600 said:

I'm going to start this here because it involves wood, but feel free to move it. It may become a diary, who knows 😉

I'm going to be building a window seat and whilst the bulk of my bad carpentry will be hidden there will be two sides that will have to have exposed endgrain. Now, the question I have is how do I ensure that it's nice and neat without the little flakey bits that come off every time I cut a length of wood nor look like the surface of a sponge. Most of my experience has been working with B&Q pine boards so I suspect I may need a different timber for the public bits.

Suggestions on a epostcard 😉

If your using a chop saw then I would buy a good quality new saw blade for it that should stop any furring or cut it slightly oversized about 2-3mm each end then use a router with a new flute cutter in it and using a straight edge rout it back to finished size then you should have lovely edges.............😀 

• Thanks 1