5 Way Bass DI Shootout!

HughRichardson

There were several meaningful points in the video. My top five are:

- size i.e. portability

- does it colour the sound?

- price (certainly)

- operation (battery, Phantom, 230 V)

- durability

So, my choice has been Countryman Type 85 for ages. It was not the cheapest at the time but the quality seems to be flawless, it is nearly indestructible, and the size is decent for a gig bag. Does not seem to change the sound of my instruments.

That red one may be very good but the size... and tubes may break... if I had someone to carry my stuff, all of the boxes could be possible options.

1 hour ago, itu said:

There were several meaningful points in the video. My top five are:

- size i.e. portability

- does it colour the sound?

- price (certainly)

- operation (battery, Phantom, 230 V)

- durability

So, my choice has been Countryman Type 85 for ages. It was not the cheapest at the time but the quality seems to be flawless, it is nearly indestructible, and the size is decent for a gig bag. Does not seem to change the sound of my instruments.

That red one may be very good but the size... and tubes may break... if I had someone to carry my stuff, all of the boxes could be possible options.

I’ve not tried the countryman but I’d love to if I get the chance. How long have you had it?

You’re spot on about the REDDI. I mostly use it for recording and theatre gigs where I know it will be in one place for a long time. However, when I do travel with it I use a VERY protective case! 

So glad you liked the video :)

Although I haven't watched this yet , the REDDI's only issue , is that it only has an 'uncoloured' thru .

So all of the talk about the awesome sound , is only going to be heard by others and not by the person playing it - if like most of us , it's backline bass only . Unless you use in ears .

When I thinking about getting a really good quality valve DI , this really put me off - no one seems to mention it much

The KHAN , therefore on paper has more options

20 minutes ago, E sharp said:

Although I haven't watched this yet , the REDDI's only issue , is that it only has an 'uncoloured' thru .

So all of the talk about the awesome sound , is only going to be heard by others and not by the person playing it - if like most of us , it's backline bass only . Unless you use in ears .

When I thinking about getting a really good quality valve DI , this really put me off - no one seems to mention it much

The KHAN , therefore on paper has more options

It is a drawback for sure. The Jule Monique has this feature but you do pay way more for it. 

You make a great point I must say. How suitable a DI is really does depend on how it fits into your gig set up. 

As I said in the video, if you’re one of the guys who tours with just a DI and in ears then you don’t have to worry about the through. You can get the DI sound the same as the front of house. 

However, if you’re an amp guy (who doesn’t love a good amp 😜) then maybe something else is better. 

So glad you enjoyed the video! 

3 hours ago, HughRichardson said:

I’ve not tried the countryman but I’d love to if I get the chance. How long have you had it?

So glad you liked the video :)

Yes, the video, your style is very approachable, simple and to the point. Keep going.

My Countryman is some 30 years old. Easy to open and needs a 9 V battery or Phantom. Like a brick. Does not make a number of itself but keeps on running, hopefully forever.

47 minutes ago, itu said:

Yes, the video, your style is very approachable, simple and to the point. Keep going.

My Countryman is some 30 years old. Easy to open and needs a 9 V battery or Phantom. Like a brick. Does not make a number of itself but keeps on running, hopefully forever.

That is literally the dream DI hahaha

Thanks so much for your kind words and support :)