Why become a member? ×

Hohner B2 natural - what varnish?

tauzero

I've got a Hohner B2AV, natural finish, which has the varnish/lacquer chipped off on one corner. I would rather like to patch it up, so I wondered if anyone knew what lacquer or varnish I should use? It's not terrible, more to satisfy my OCD, so I don't want to make it worse in a quest to improve it.

The b2s I have had through the workshop have all had a thick polyester finish. You probably won’t be able to find anything similar to touch up with. But the usual fix for poly is drop filling with superglue. Or if you want to spend lots of money you could try the new Gluboost products which are being advertised quite a bit at the moment. But they are essentially very good/suitable Superglue.

If it’s down to bare wood you might need to add a little bit of tint to the wood as Poly yellows and superglue is clear. So if you didn’t add tint the repair will be paler than the surrounding area. Google drop filling guitar finish and you should find some instructions.

It takes practice to get it to look better than the damage did in the first place though! A poorly  done repair always looks ugly and less honest than damage.