Why become a member? ×

Bass set up with tilt neck..

Jaybeevee

Bass set up technique is often subject to a bit of opinion, but I wonder if anyone has experience or knowledge with set up using a micro tilt neck.

I know some folk think tilt neck to be a useless feature, but Hartley Peavey only included height adjustment in the T 40 bridge saddles because he said 'Fender would use it against him if he didn't'.

Anyhow, my question is what is the correct sequence to set up a bass with tilt neck. Saddles as low as possible? Saddle adjust before tilt? Truss rod last? 

Weird, we were just talking about my SB1 with a tilt neck. 

I think they are really useful with bolt on basses. I used the G&L guide which is linked below. The aim of the game is to give yourself more adjustment with the saddles. For example when my bass arrived the amsaddles were dropped low but I wanted lower on the G but it was maxed out. Tilt the neck a little and you can now raise it to get the low action you want. 

I guess drawbacks would be getting the tilt mixed up with the neck relief and getting more confused!

http://glguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/GLmanual.pdf

Correct setup sequence is nut height, neck relief. Then string height via the saddle, if the saddle is at its minimum and still the string height is too high only then should the neck tilt adjust be used (or a shim added on non tilt adjust instruments). After all this then intonation adjusted. 

Adding neck tilt should be kept at the minimum required for correct saddle adjustment. Too much tilt and the string to fretboard angle changes to much in relation to each other and it becomes harder to get a low action. 

• Like 4

On 04/04/2019 at 23:08, Twincam said:

Correct setup sequence is nut height, neck relief. Then string height via the saddle, if the saddle is at its minimum and still the string height is too high only then should the neck tilt adjust be used (or a shim added on non tilt adjust instruments). After all this then intonation adjusted. 

Adding neck tilt should be kept at the minimum required for correct saddle adjustment. Too much tilt and the string to fretboard angle changes to much in relation to each other and it becomes harder to get a low action. 

Having read the question, I was going to do a detailed answer, but this ^ is much clearer than my usual ramblings and spot on. :)

• Like 1