Why become a member? ×

Chordify - is it just me?

Stub Mandrel

I'v tried Chordify a few times.

Whiles it's a great interface, I assume it is working out the chords 'automatically' it seems to get confused an awful lot. It seems to randomly insert minor and 7th chords, or put in wrong ones at random before a real change (perhaps confused by a bass run or similar?)

Or is it accurate and my ear that is out?

In my experience, it is safely placed in the «too good to be true» category. I’ve tried it a couple times, but it has not been even close to giving a useful result. I always end up in good old Transcribe. Much more manual work, but at least most of the time pretty good at guessing chords.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, alibabu said:

In my experience, it is safely placed in the «too good to be true» category. I’ve tried it a couple times, but it has not been even close to giving a useful result. I always end up in good old Transcribe. Much more manual work, but at least most of the time pretty good at guessing chords.

Agreed, it can do a good job, much like RiffStation used to, but with complex chords or layers of instruments it's no surprise that it gets confused. For example, a GMaj7 chord without the G loud enough for the software to detect will be heard as a Bm chord. I suspect that most people using Chordify may not understand the relationship between the two chords (no problem, everyone is in a different place in their journey as a musician) and this could cause some confusion. A track only has to be slightly out of tune (see THIS thread) and the app will be struggling further!)