Why become a member? ×

Modding Basic "cheapy" Models

Jesus

I've had a Johnson (why am I smiling as I write that?) and, for the money, you can't go far wrong as a basic platform.

Don't worry about whether the body is alder or plywood. At this price-point, the sonic differences will be swamped by all the other factors ... bridge, pickups, strings, tuners, lead, amp, speakers. Just make sure you avoid MDF. :)

Bear in mind that, when upgrading components, two of the things you can upgrade are the body and the neck. If you have a plywood body and you can actually hear the difference, wait for an appropriate 2nd-hand L/H body to turn up on eBay.

There's nothing to prevent you from starting with a Johnson and gradually swapping out ALL the components over a period of time, ending up with a parts-bin bass which has no Johnson content at all.

[quote name='neepheid' post='349840' date='Dec 9 2008, 04:08 PM']£20-£30? That's a typical spend that down the pub on a Fri/Sat night! At the risk of making an assumption about your lifestyle - stay in for a couple of weekends then get the Streamer?[/quote]

If i wait im gonna be talking till about Feb for the Streamer, and ive just sold my righty so i dont even have anything to play around on at the min. And if i go with the Aria it leaves plenty to get a new decent strap, a stand, a gig bag, and a pedal.

I love Warwick though, since i first got into bass ive been into them big time.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='349928' date='Dec 9 2008, 05:00 PM']I've had a Johnson (why am I smiling as I write that?) and, for the money, you can't go far wrong as a basic platform.

Don't worry about whether the body is alder or plywood. At this price-point, the sonic differences will be swamped by all the other factors ... bridge, pickups, strings, tuners, lead, amp, speakers. Just make sure you avoid MDF. :)

Bear in mind that, when upgrading components, two of the things you can upgrade are the body and the neck. If you have a plywood body and you can actually hear the difference, wait for an appropriate 2nd-hand L/H body to turn up on eBay.

There's nothing to prevent you from starting with a Johnson and gradually swapping out ALL the components over a period of time, ending up with a parts-bin bass which has no Johnson content at all.[/quote]

Thats pretty much what I've done, liked it enough I did it again.

Right i bit the bullet and ordered the Aria P-bass for £110 delivered. With the money saved ive managed to grab a leather strap (my current one is nylon and very thin), and new stand, and a Digiitech BP80 pedal secondhand from LowBlow.
Dont ask me why i chose Aria over Johnson, i think it was the headstock, or maybe that my righty was a Aria Pro II.

Edited by Jesus

[quote name='Jesus' post='350593' date='Dec 10 2008, 12:29 PM']Right i bit the bullet and ordered the Aria P-bass for £110 delivered. With the money saved ive managed to grab a leather strap (my current one is nylon and very thin), and new stand, and a Digiitech BP80 pedal secondhand from LowBlow.
Dont ask me why i chose Aria over Johnson, i think it was the headstock, or maybe that my righty was a Aria Pro II.[/quote]

Nice one mate hope it serves you well, nothing on this earth like a P Bass (why the f*** did I buy a Jazz?)

How you going to play with those holes in your hands?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='350801' date='Dec 10 2008, 02:56 PM']How you going to play with those holes in your hands?[/quote]

If anything its easier, my right hand self lubricates up and down the neck, and my left hand has a handy place to store spare plectrums, ear plugs, and lollipops.