Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Trace Elliot AH280 GP12SMX - Intermittent Fault - £100
£100
South Yorkshire

Deedee

Trace Elliot AH280 GP12SMX – Spares or Repair (Intermittent Fault) - £100 collected or £115 delivered mainland UK

And another one bites the dust………….. 
I recently bought this off the forum but it appears to have developed an intermittent fault. Again I was going to get it looked at but decided against it as it would only sit idle once fixed anyway.

Spec:

280 watts 
Min 4 ohm
Passive/Active switch
Solid State/Valve Input Blend
12 band EQ
Pre-shapes 1 & 2
Dual Band Compressor 
EQ balance
Effects Level
Mute/Standby
Effects Send/Return
Send Level with Full Range/High Pass switch
DI out
Tuner Out
Footswitch socket (not supplied)
2no. ¼” speaker outs
Weight approx. 14kg

Cosmetically it's in very good condition. All the correct knobs and switches are present and the switches and corresponding lights work as they should. The ‘rat fur’ covering on the case is in good shape with no rips. It’s also as loud as hell 

The Fault (stick with me on this one):

I had initially noticed that when you powered up the amp the sound was very quiet and distorted, as if still on standby. This would only last for 5/10/15 seconds then it would be fine. However after not playing it for a couple of weeks I plugged it back in and it did the same, but this time it took about 10 minutes before it worked properly. 

The next couple of times I tried it the fault seemed to be with Solid State/Valve input blend i.e. it was initially distorted on start-up if it was turned to Valve, but was ok when I turned it to Solid State. 

The next day I swapped the valve and it worked fine and I thought I’d cracked it! But later I tried it again and it didn’t matter whether it was set to Valve or SS, the initial start-up symptom was still there.

Today I’ve tried it and each time it’s fired up fine and is sounding great. 🤬

In a nutshell the fault appears to be that something is having to warm up on start up, albeit intermittently. One thing to note is that once it has fired up properly it stays that way i.e. it doesn’t cut out.

If you require any further information please ask.

£100 collected from South Yorkshire or £115 posted to mainland UK (UK buyers only please).

IMG_6738.JPG

IMG_6739.JPG

IMG_6740.JPG

IMG_6741.JPG

IMG_6742.JPG

j.JPG

Edited by Deedee
Now sold thanks