Why become a member? ×

2 pedal(board) issues rolled into one...

Merton

Hello!

I have a pedal board. It's mostly lovely, with a cheap Behringer overdrive and Aria chrous thrown in for good measure. The chain goes thusly:

Boss TU2 -> TE Dual Compressor -> EBS Octabass -> Ibanez SB7 -> Aria chorus -> Behringer OD -> SansAmp BDDI -> PA and bass amp

This is not a "change the order of the fx" question, and I don't care what is "normal" etc, this is how it sounds best for me.

However, recently 2 things started going [i]iffy[/i].

[b]1.[/b] I leant the BDDI to a friend at work for a whole 2 nights, since it's come back the switch has been mighty temperamental, taking a lot of on/offs to latch either on or off.
I run with the phantom power/ground connected switch "on" as the desk feeds me phantom. I have not had a battery in the unit for years due to this method of connectivity. The guy I leant the pedal to put a battery in to try it out and it is still in there.
Is it a dicky switch or some weird battery artefact, or related to problem #2?...
[b]2.[/b] I power the TU2, EBS, Ibanez, Aria and Behringer from the same 9V source - it can easily handle the current capacity as it has a max of 1A and none of those pedals use more than 100mA. Before the Ibanez arrived I daisy chained from the power adaptor to each pedal, no problem. When the Ibanez arrived I changed this to power suppply into the TU2 then all pedals chained off the PSU output of that. Now I get an intermittent [i]weirdness[/i] whereby sometimes turning one pedal on or off (normally either the TU2, EBS or Aria) makes all the pedals flicker on and off and everything gets noisy and crackly through my amp. The Aria still has a battery in it from when I was given the pedal - I can't open the f**king thing up to get it out as the screws are buggered.
I am not yet able to play with this at home as the pedal board etc is in the band's lock up. However, I'd be keen for any insight into why this is happening? Is it to do with the new power arrangement? The battery in the Aria? Aliens? The recession?

Cheers peeps!

[quote name='Merton' post='348595' date='Dec 8 2008, 01:43 PM'][b]1.[/b] Is it a dicky switch or some weird battery artefact, or related to problem #2?...[/quote]
Could be a dicky switch but you need to isolate the possibilities somehow.

[quote name='Merton' post='348595' date='Dec 8 2008, 01:43 PM'][b]2.[/b] Now I get an intermittent [i]weirdness[/i] whereby sometimes turning one pedal on or off (normally either the TU2, EBS or Aria) makes all the pedals flicker on and off and everything gets noisy and crackly through my amp. The Aria still has a battery in it from when I was given the pedal - I can't open the f**king thing up to get it out as the screws are buggered.[/quote]
have you checked the power drain isn't drawing more than the adaptor can deliver?

It's the aliens, all disguised as bass players !!

Have you managed to sus it out yet Mert? My guess would be that the original method of powering each unit is cleaner as I had a similar problem when I added one extra unit to my pedal board a while back and everything started to get noisier.

Since then, I've simplified everything anyway but if your set up was working for you as was then I'd say you need to go back to that configuration and start from there.

Can't offer any advice re: the BDDI I'm afraid as I have the electrical knowledge of a stone mason...

Hope all's well otherwise Mert?

[quote name='small_lump_of_green_putty' post='353422' date='Dec 13 2008, 10:56 AM']have you checked the power drain isn't drawing more than the adaptor can deliver?[/quote]

In theory it isn't, but seeing rayfw's answer makes me think otherwise

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='353458' date='Dec 13 2008, 11:40 AM']It's the aliens, all disguised as bass players !!

Have you managed to sus it out yet Mert? My guess would be that the original method of powering each unit is cleaner as I had a similar problem when I added one extra unit to my pedal board a while back and everything started to get noisier.

Since then, I've simplified everything anyway but if your set up was working for you as was then I'd say you need to go back to that configuration and start from there.

Can't offer any advice re: the BDDI I'm afraid as I have the electrical knowledge of a stone mason...

Hope all's well otherwise Mert?[/quote]

Haven't sussed it yet, going to try a different power source on the next gig and see what happens. All is good tho, 5 months in and counting! Looking forward to Xmas. How about you?

[quote name='rayfw' post='353486' date='Dec 13 2008, 12:17 PM']Even though the max your adaptor can deliver is 1A it may start to struggle to supply 9V at current draws below this. This could be leading to problem no 2.[/quote]

Never thought it could be a problem but will try a different power supply and see...

Cheers guys!

Found a good way to solve problem #2:

Sell a pedal, take another one off the board so the PSU is only supplying 3 pedals now. Clever!!

Problem #1 less sure I can do anything about if it's a dicky switch, it's all so tightly crammed I'd probably bugger the whole thing up. Did discover that the battery my colleague had put in was deader than lime green tank tops with orange shirts though. Not sure if that could have affected it...