Why become a member? ×

Fender Fretless Precision Bass

This one?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Fretless-Precision-Bass_W0QQitemZ130274131572QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item130274131572&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]Fretless Fender P/J with mods[/url]

If it is the one Old Git's pointed out - this is relisted after it went unsold last week.

I've been in touch with the guy - seems a decent enough chappy. Should you want to get this back to 'normal' , you'd need a new pickguard and just chuck the xlr . the new P/g would also be needed to do the fingerboard job. He tells me the neck is untouched by the mod - only the fingerboard. The original is squared off so the extension pice butts up to it. So - dump the extension piece and having saved a little bit to make a 'fillet' for the end of the original. Job done.

It's not something I'd shy away from workwise , but I think he's wanting more than the bass is currently worth - esp if you add the cost of a luthier doing the work rather than a DIY job.

It was def. something I was interested in to a certain financial point.

He told me his reserve - but I think it's unfair to post that - sufficient to say it's no bargain. It would be a fair price without the mods but still no big bargain , but it's his bass and good luck to him.

Radius of the fingerboard looks wrong to me, and I'm wondering how squaring off the neck might have effected the truss rod bolt head. He's no doubt a decent guy if Dr Dave says so, but he needs to check out how much modified Fenders actually sell for, or at least get the bass put back close to original, before asking what he's asking!
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='348762' date='Dec 8 2008, 04:01 PM']Radius of the fingerboard looks wrong to me, and I'm wondering how squaring off the neck might have effected the truss rod bolt head. He's no doubt a decent guy if Dr Dave says so, but he needs to check out how much modified Fenders actually sell for, or at least get the bass put back close to original, before asking what he's asking!
Chris[/quote]

If I read his email properly (and if anyone's interested take no notice of me and check yourself) the neck itself is untouched - just the end of the rosewood fingerboard has been squared off.

I think he's an OK bloke , but naive in it's worth , maybe too much 'look at the prices in Vintage and Rare ' going on.

For me , this could have been a potential bargain - hence I never flagged it on here!!!!! - but it wasn't. Of course , he may have lowered his reserve in the relisted auction. He's not asking telephone numbers BTW , hate being cagey but I took his information re the reserve as private , which I was grateful for , and don't think I should say what it is.