Why become a member? ×

Hofner Senator Quandary (No truss rod topic)

Studio GC

Well, I received this "1964" Hofner Senator last week from an ebay sale. The condition of the bass could have been better described and the action was described as being high. No problemo me thinks because I can hopefully tweak the truss rod...shave the bridge etc. But when the bass arrives I tune it up , see that indeed the action is very high and go hunting for the truss rod....none to be found. It's had a repaired neck joint (common on these ofcourse) and the headstock scroll work looks suspiciously 1950's....not early 60's. So I think someone once upon a time replaced the neck with a non truss rod 1950's neck (pre 1960's Senator basses didn't have truss rods....I later found out).

Well, I arranged a return through ebay and then plugged it in and played it again and dang, if it just didn't sound fantastic. Nice strong pick up, pots seem to work well and the thing does have tons of great mojo and it would be great with my 60's cover band. So I worked out a deal for a partial refund as I love a good project. So I now am the proud owner of a 1960's/1950's Hofner for the price of a Chinese Icon.

But, I do realize I have my work cut out for me. My first try at getting the neck less bowed is to clamp it  as seen in the photos. I have a small oil heater under the neck providing a small amount of heat and I'm going to try a few days with this technique. But I know I'll probably have to bite the bullet and pull the fretboard and either add another stiffening rod or perhaps even a truss rod.

Before I go through with such drastic surgery does anyone have tricks for dealing with non truss rod necks? I'm a bit of a back yard luthier and have changed/repaired many a truss rod so it shouldn't be too much for me to handle but it is reaching the top end of my skills.

Any suggestions would be very welcome (except suggestions to take in for someone to repair!)

20190125_181622.jpg

20190125_181615.jpg

Screenshot 2019-01-22 at 6.34.04 PM.png

Edited by Studio GC

• 5 years later...

Very timely. I've just been playing it as is. I did heat the neck and back bend it a few years ago and seems to work well. Now listing for sale as we speak as I'm moving!

Hi, thank you for the prompt reply 😊👍! May I ask you about:

1. the temperature you used? As I understand the glue used for the fingerboard has 60 degree centigrade melting point.

2. the time used for heating? (For possible reseting the wood properties?)

3. what kind of neck inlays on your bass? My 455 has celluloid type of inlays, and celluloid is not fond of heat as I understand. Did you take any precaution regarding  the inlays when you heated the neck?

4. what type of heating device did you use?

Did you measure the temperature, and if so, how?

(Excuse me for my «Norwegian-English)

Rgrds Frank