Why become a member? ×

NAD - Ashdown CTM30

jimbartlett

On 28/01/2019 at 18:05, Sir Spence said:

Anyone able to offer a comparison between this and an Ampeg PF-20 - I'm a home player so not really looking for volume, but I'm feeling I need a bit of a rounder tone than I'm getting from the Ampeg (this is into an Aguliar 112 cab) 

I'm not saying it's a bad amp at all, but it needs more midrange to tingle my tastebuds !

Can't speak for the Ampegs, but I've never found the LB-30 / CTM-30 lacking in midrange. I did find the Mid-Shift switch particularly useful for shunting the centre frequency into the a "sweet spot." Also, I think I'm right in saying that the EQ is similar to an old-fashioned FVM-style tone stack (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), so by backing off the bass control, I can give the mids and treble more room to "breathe" - at home I'd typically have the bass knob around 8 or 9 o'clock, and the mids and treble at noon. (The high shelf introduced by the Bright switch is also quite useful for definition if you need to keep the volume down!)

18 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Can't speak for the Ampegs, but I've never found the LB-30 / CTM-30 lacking in midrange. I did find the Mid-Shift switch particularly useful for shunting the centre frequency into the a "sweet spot." Also, I think I'm right in saying that the EQ is similar to an old-fashioned FVM-style tone stack (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), so by backing off the bass control, I can give the mids and treble more room to "breathe" - at home I'd typically have the bass knob around 8 or 9 o'clock, and the mids and treble at noon. (The high shelf introduced by the Bright switch is also quite useful for definition if you need to keep the volume down!)

Apparently British valve amps that use British valves produce a more warm 'scooped;' tone and American Valves are supposed to be 'flatter' with more midrange. It would be interesting to swap out the EL84s for say, a  6BQ5  or other American variant and assess the difference. (of course you would have to talk to an amp tech to avoid unwanted fires. :)