Why become a member? ×

Chapman Stick from a Bass perspective - Video

kevink

Happy New Year all. I play bass guitar and Chapman Stick and wanted to share my recent video.

I love everything that the stick offers musically but my approach to the instrument is still from the perspective of a bass player so my first priority is to supply my own bassline and add chords and melodies as a secondary function. 

Here's my video, hope you like it and please let me know your honest opinions. Thanks!

Kevin

29 minutes ago, kevink said:

...please let me know your honest opinions....

Good afternoon, Kevin, and a Happy New Year to you and yours, too..!
Honest opinions..? S'all I have in stock, so that's fine by me, but you may be disappointed, so 'Sorry' in advance. Let's get the bad stuff out of the way first, then. It's not the playing, nor the compo, it's the production. I'm not sure if that's a virtual drum track or a 'live' player (I'd guess the former...), but the stop/start aspect is, I found, a distraction. Something should (in my humble opinion...) keep going, or, if there's a break, there's one, and one only. Worse still, the 'fader riding' in the second half. The 'now you hear me, now you don't' is an irritation, nothing more, and it brings nothing positive to the track.
There, that's said. The Good Stuff..? Ah, there's plenty enough of that..! You've obviously got a real grasp on what the instrument can do for you, and have a fine notion of using its complex possibilities to full advantage. The chordal work, the melody lines, the variations and string Fx are all worthy. The composition itself stands up straight (OK, a bit confused by the keys behind; either give 'em a real role or back 'em off completely...), giving ample opportunity to demonstrate your ability and ease with the Stick.
There, that, too, is said. Any good to you..? I don't wish to appear unduly harsh, but you did ask for honest opinion. Kudos, for playing such an original instrument so well, and for courageously sharing your fine video. I hope others chime in with other views and opinions; meanwhile, thanks for sharing, and...

Have a nice day

Douglas

Edited by Dad3353

27 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Good afternoon, Kevin, and a Happy New Year to you and yours, too..!
Honest opinions..? S'all I have in stock, so that's fine by me, but you may be disappointed, so 'Sorry' in advance. Let's get the bad stuff out of the way first, then. It's not the playing, nor the compo, it's the production. I'm not sure if that's a virtual drum track or a 'live' player (I'd guess the former...), but the stop/start aspect is, I found, a distraction. Something should (in my humble opinion...) keep going, or, if there's a break, there's one, and one only. Worse still, the 'fader riding' in the second half. The 'now you hear me, now you don't' is an irritation, nothing more, and it brings nothing positive to the track.

Hello Douglas,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the awesome reply and for your honesty!

As an artist there are times when you experiment with certain things. Sometimes they hit and sometimes they miss. I've been recently inspired by a number of Jazz/Neo Soul DJ's so the drums were my attempt to emulate some of the things I've enjoyed in their work. The "fader riding" was also inspired from the same sources.

These stylist techniques may or may not work in the context of what I'm reaching for which is exactly why I appreciate your comments. It's always interesting to get someones initial reaction to hearing something that I've listened to a hundred times.

Thanks also for your kind words of my playing and composition. The Stick is such an amazing instrument but also such uncharted territory. It's challenging yet exciting.

Again, thank you so much Douglas, I appreciate you.

Kevin

• Like 1

Welcome! That's a fine instrument. I had never heard of it until I saw Tony Levin play one with King Crimson a couple of months ago. I haven't watched the video yet, but I will. Thank you for sharing it and being so open. Hope to hear more from you on BC.