Why become a member? ×

New arrival Fender Precision American Original

iestynt1

Today I picked up my new guitar and thought I’d share some of the details. This is a review come biog so bear with me :)

I started playing guitar aged 14 and only picked up the bass when our band found ourselves short a few years later. We gigged a tribute act (oasis) for several years in the 90s and then branched into originals. I had a lot of guitar knowledge but little bass playing knowledge, although not necessarily needed (?!?) for 90s mainstream guitar tunes. 

18 months ago our band decided to reform and a MIM fender jazz came my way. As soon as I started playing I was hooked and could not believe the amount of resource available these days compared to even 10 years ago. Youtube is awash with talented teachers i.e. SBL, daric bennett, mark @ talking bass etc; whilst I’ve had modes down for a long time they really took me from being a guitar come bassist to someone who really focused in on chord tones, arpeggios etc. 

In 2017 An upgrade was due and to my surprise I ended up buying a guitar cheaper than my MIM Jazz - along came the Marcus Miller sure v7 vintage. An amazing bass which was incredibly easy to play. I gigged it for a year and in the end what made it great became its main issue for me... the 5 tone knobs (2 of them doubling up making a total of 7 tone knobs) just left me feeling a need for simplicity. A trip to my local guitar shop a few months back and I found my dream guitar... a fender bass precision American original. I’d been looking out (possibly) for a 70s, or earlier, precision as I became hooked on the tone and the two knobs! The original series ticked a lot of boxes and the lake placid blue with a tort pick guard, for me, is the best colour combo possible - smitten :) 

Here it is! I’m blown away by the pick ups, different to standard precision’s, and the overall feel of the guitar. It’s bigger, growlier, harder to play, but oh so damn amazing. It is taking some getting used to I.e. reverse tuners, clay dots,  wider spacing on strings, neck dimensions, Phillips head truss rod etc, but my days of trying to play as fast as possible have been replaced with trying to play as smart as possible. It’s a joy :) 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by iestynt1
Pics
  • Like 7

Lovely colour P bass. Yes, I know what you mean when you say you're smitten with it
Some basses just do that to you - they look fab, sound great, and just feel "right" when you're playing them. Glad you like it so much

Re your comments about simplicity, I've been through that too. I've owned a couple of basses with several controls, stacked knobs & switches
One bass especially, sounded great at home - but I never could get the same sound out of it when gigging, and was far too distracted and tended to fiddle with the controls
These days, I just prefer Volume & Tone, or Volume, Volume & Tone - easy peasy :)