Why become a member? ×

Soldering EMG Solderless Pick ups

Cuzzie

Morning chaps.

I picked up some EMG HB pick ups to ‘upgrade’ my Hohner B2A bass.

I was getting problems with intermittent signal when I tried to use the solderless connectors onto the barrel jack RST as the supplied jack would not fit the bass.

It would work for about 20 mins and then would have problematic intermittent signals, so I soldered them to the jack and it’s still not right.

My next assumption is that it could be the other end of connections where it slides onto the pins.

Done a load of research and it seems a not uncommon problem that because the wire is of a fixed length, in a tight cavity they are bent and it affects signal.

The question is am I OK to clip off the solderless connectors and solder the bare wires to the pins on the vol and tone units provided, or must I go to old school pots?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/10/2018 at 07:38, Cuzzie said:

Morning chaps.

I picked up some EMG HB pick ups to ‘upgrade’ my Hohner B2A bass.

I was getting problems with intermittent signal when I tried to use the solderless connectors onto the barrel jack RST as the supplied jack would not fit the bass.

It would work for about 20 mins and then would have problematic intermittent signals, so I soldered them to the jack and it’s still not right.

My next assumption is that it could be the other end of connections where it slides onto the pins.

Done a load of research and it seems a not uncommon problem that because the wire is of a fixed length, in a tight cavity they are bent and it affects signal.

The question is am I OK to clip off the solderless connectors and solder the bare wires to the pins on the vol and tone units provided, or must I go to old school pots?

Cheers

Yes you are absolutely ok to do this. You could help the solder adhere to the pins if you rough them up a little using a metal nail file or similar - no need to go mad just a light scouring to give the solder a key to stick to. Remember to apply flux to the pin over the area you have scoured before soldering. 

Will also help if you tin the end of the cable and the pin before making the joint.

Good luck