Why become a member? ×

Len Skeat

barneythedog

By chance I ended up at a Digby Fairweather gig last night, and to cut a long story short ended up loaning the band my bass amp.

I just have to say they blew me away. Len Skeat on bass, just had his 70th birthday, and he was amazing.

I've never been a big jazz fan, but my god they could play and for a 70 year old Len was something else.

Think I might have to try an upright ............ :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

[quote name='theosd' post='59040' date='Sep 11 2007, 10:33 PM']My granddad (Mick Durell - another double bassist jazzer type) is friends with him. Don't spose anyone's heard of him? Just out of curiosity, really![/quote]

i was talking to him last week in Putney after his gig in the shopping centre

Len Skeat has been a stalwart on the British Jazz scene since the 1950s, initially with the Ted Heath Band. He has played with big names such as (off Wikipedia) Mel Tormé, Ben Webster, Billy Eckstine, Lionel Hampton, Scott Hamilton, Helen Merrill, Lou Rawls, Harry Edison, Denny Wright, Digby Fairweather, Spike Robinson, Eddie Lockjaw Davis, Stephane Grappelli, Dick Morrissey, Charly Antolini, Bill Watrous and Randy Sandke. He was also a member of the Eddie Thompson Trio and Charly Antolini's Jazz Power.

Len is a monster player and has been forever.

• 2 weeks later...