Why become a member? ×

Jazz recommendations for newbies?

Paul Cooke

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='35480' date='Jul 22 2007, 10:30 AM']Just what recordings or Bassists should be considered landmarks in the art of walking a bassline? Electric Bass especially.[/quote]

Check out Anthony Jacksons playing on the Michel Petrucciani trio live in Tokyo album.

Edited by kjb

[quote name='kjb' post='35525' date='Jul 22 2007, 01:11 PM']Check out Anthony Jacksons playing on the Michel Petrucciani trio live in Tokyo album.[/quote]

thanks, got that coming down the pipe now... give me something to listen to while waiting for the floods to recede... If it's good, then I'll buy it, if I can find anywhere that carries it...

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trio-Tokyo-Michel-Petrucciani/dp/B00002R0OK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/026-1123226-7622841?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1185109187&sr=8-2"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trio-Tokyo-Michel-...9187&sr=8-2[/url]

Some albums:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (as mentioned...this is a must have) bassist is Paul Chambers, he kicks ass
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else / Inside Straight, quite funky, but cool
Mike Stern - Give and Take / Voices (Richard Bona)
Mike Pope - The Lay of the Land
Michel Petrucciani - Live in Tokoyo (as above)
Herbie Hancock - The New Standard

Also:

Soweto Kinch
Jazz Jamaica

And anything from the following player:

John Scofield
Pat Methany
Chick Corea
John McLaughlin
Wynton Marsalis
Micheal Brecker

Bassists:

Janek Gwizdala (his Mystery to Me album is a must have)
Matthew Garrison
Richard Bona
John Pattitucci
Brian Bromberg (awesome album is Wood II)
Eddie Gomez
Christian McBride
Ray Brown
Ron Carter
Hadrien Feraud
Tony Grey
Jeff Berlin
Todd Johnson
Stanley Clarke
Laurence Cottle (his albums are free on his site at the moment)

That should keep you busy for a while!

Don't let the fact that most of the above is Double bass stuff but you off, it's part of the history of the bass, let it influence you, jazz is just as cool on electric, if not more so in my opinion!!!

Don't just listen for the bassists playing though, let the likes of Miles Davis and Cannonball Adderley, John Coltrane etc. influence and inspire you...i'm finding Michel Petrucciani's phrasing and voice on the piano particularly inspiring at the moment...get into the whole spectrum that is open to you within the music!!

Jam

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='35541' date='Jul 22 2007, 01:49 PM']give me something to listen to while waiting for the floods to recede...[/quote]

Hope the flooding didnt affect you too much. Glad I live on top of a hill!

[quote name='bassjamm' post='35565' date='Jul 22 2007, 03:09 PM']Don't let the fact that most of the above is Double bass stuff but you off, it's part of the history of the bass, let it influence you, jazz is just as cool on electric, if not more so in my opinion!!!

Don't just listen for the bassists playing though, let the likes of Miles Davis and Cannonball Adderley, John Coltrane etc. influence and inspire you...i'm finding Michel Petrucciani's phrasing and voice on the piano particularly inspiring at the moment...get into the whole spectrum that is open to you within the music!!

Jam[/quote]

Jazz certainly is cool on electric, I only play 6 string electric, at the moment, upright is something that I'd like to get into .

I did a gig last night at a party, we just played standards....So what, All blues, ladybird, My favourite things etc.

It was in a pretty cool setting, semi-outdoors, it was supposed to be open air... it is July afterall, but we played under a giant awning on a decked patio that was as big as my house, in this huge garden.

Loads of people were dancing, and really enjoying the music, all age groups and a lot of people afterwards said how much they'd enjoyed the music. and that it wasn't what they'd expected.

They've never listened to jazz before, and probably had these pre-conceptions of what it was, and who it was played by, it was afterall a party they had been invited to, it wasn't a jazz gig, we just happened to be there playing, sharing the bill with a DJ.

Yeah Petrucciani is fantastic, he seems to put so much into every note.

I find myself listening more to pianists for soloing ideas, it used to be sax players.

I agree with Oscar Petersons Nightrain, that was one of the 1st jazz albums that I owned, if not the 1st, it starts with a really nice walking line.

[quote name='kjb' post='35573' date='Jul 22 2007, 03:44 PM']Loads of people were dancing, and really enjoying the music, all age groups and a lot of people afterwards said how much they'd enjoyed the music. and that it wasn't what they'd expected.[/quote]

from my limited experience so far, four feel can be nice and "bouncy" making it easy to dance to and two feel gives a nice slow dance mellow chill out mode...