Why become a member? ×

Chris McIntyre Jazz 5

EmmettC

Hello, not been around in ages, but trying to sell some gear (and probably buy some too). I thought as im here you might like to see my Chris McIntyre Jazz 5 in shell pink. I commissioned it specifically for my wedding band gig, it's 4 hour gigs 3 nights a week so I wanted something light and versatile, but also pretty simple. I also started playing 5 strings on a Stingray, so I went for a narrower bridge and nut than mist Jazz basses.

I picked the lightest bit of ash Chris had, and went with a John East J-sound preamp. An active/passive that's very versatile, with lots of internal options such as interchangeable tone capacitors, but really simple on the front. I wanted Nordstrand pickups, but had to have them custom made for my string spacing, sound great though, and work really well with the preamp.

I have to admit the colour was influenced by Flea's jazz bass, and it's a nitro finish so should wear in nicely.

I've done 3 gigs with it now, had the nut lowered very slightly, but apart from that I couldn't be happier.

20180717_194555.jpg

FB_IMG_1531859150086.jpg

20180719_200352.jpg

20180717_194604.jpg

That's one tasty looking bass!!

What size nut are you using and what's the string spacing at the bridge? As I've just converted a P Bass from a 4 to a 5 string and was hoping it might be possible to do my Jazz aswell? 😀

• 3 years later...

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I really don't spend enough time here.

The spacings are all the same as a Musicman Stingray 5 string. It 17mm at the bridge (I think) and I'm not sure what the nut is, but it was all measurements taken from my Stingray.

I'm still gigging this constantly, I got back to playing weddings in May and I've been busier than ever since June. The only bad thing I can say about this bass is the finish is too robust. It's a nitro finish and it just refuses to wear or discolour apart from a small spot where I anchor my thumb.

I really can't recommend McIntyre guitars enough.

14 minutes ago, EmmettC said:

The only bad thing I can say about this bass is the finish is too robust. It's a nitro finish and it just refuses to wear or discolour apart from a small spot where I anchor my thumb.

All those 1960s Fenders also didn't age overnight xD

Looks cool! At first glance I wasn't a huge fan of the stretched look of the body, but hanging on a strap it makes perfect sense. Great looking bass!