Why become a member? ×

Active passive switch-possible?

squire5

I've recently installed an ARTEC SE2A pre-amp unit in my Squier VMJ.I was wondering if it is possible to install a switch to enable passive or active function,in case of battery failure and suchlike.The Artec works pretty well and gives an impressive range of tones.Not bad for £20 odd IMHO :)

It should be possible but without seeing how it's wired I can't be specific.

Identify the wires that connect the pickup(s) to the preamp amd the preamp to the output jack. You might be able to connect these two wires to the two centre contacts of a DPDT switch - in one position they wires go to the preamp, in the other position a "jumper wire" across the contacts connects these two wires together.

Check here

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=32347"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=32347[/url]

If you read the thread all that's missing from the photo is the "jumper wire" across the leftmost contacts on the switch.

[quote name='BOD2' post='339822' date='Nov 28 2008, 04:35 PM']It should be possible but without seeing how it's wired I can't be specific.

Identify the wires that connect the pickup(s) to the preamp amd the preamp to the output jack. You might be able to connect these two wires to the two centre contacts of a DPDT switch - in one position they wires go to the preamp, in the other position a "jumper wire" across the contacts connects these two wires together.

Check here

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=32347"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=32347[/url]

If you read the thread all that's missing from the photo is the "jumper wire" across the leftmost contacts on the switch.[/quote]

BOD,heres the wiring diagram from the Thomann website if it's any help.It's a very straightforward procedure.
[attachment=16545:SE2_A_wiring.jpg]

Ah .. it's not quite so simple, as the blend control is part of the preamp circuit. It should still be possible.

You have two options -

1. Try to take the output from the blend control and try to switch this
2. Take the output from one pickup only so that the bypass switch would switch to the pickup

Option 2 is easier.

You'd have no volume or tone on the bypassed sound - it would be full on, but if it's just a fallback then that should be ok.

I'll check back later.

I think this wiring would give you "option 2"

[attachment=16578:Artec_Switched.jpg]

This would give the option of both pickups through the blend/preamp/volume (normal operation) or just one of the pickups directly to the output jack (emergency operation) but with no volume control.

I think it should work ok. Note the the contact on the output socket that is changed is the one that connects to the "tip" of the jack plug.

Could someone else have a look at this and check if it's ok....

[quote name='BOD2' post='340092' date='Nov 28 2008, 09:56 PM']I think it should work ok. Note the the contact on the output socket that is changed is the one that connects to the "tip" of the jack plug.

Could someone else have a look at this and check if it's ok....[/quote]
In the diagram as it stands, the connection to the socket that's changed is the sleeve connection.

Was just having a look at the SE3P in one of mine. Thinking about it, I think that if you ran the pickups to the blend control as normal, split the red and black leads to the blend control, and ran the red from the blend to one pole of the switch and the black to the other, then wire the contacts so if it's in active, the red and black are connected to the red and black running into the main board, and if it's in passive, the red and black are connected to the tip (red) and sleeve (black) of the socket, you will have both pickups blended, just no volume control. In fact, I think I might just do that myself...

[attachment=16617:SE2_A_wi...h_switch.JPG]

• 3 weeks later...