Why become a member? Read more... ×
JadeT

Double bass tutor wanted south east london

Posted (edited)

Hi there,

I'm new to the world of bass and basschat so some friendly advice will be much appreciated!

I want to get my boyfriend a double bass lesson to surprise him for his birthday. He's turning 45 and has been playing Jazz on the electric bass for 10 years now, he wanted to test out the double bass to see how it is, but he won't have a DB of his own to practise on. We live in SE London but I'm sure he wouldn't be too adverse to travelling a little. Is there any good tutors around that might have a spare double bass for their students that you guys might know?  

Thanks! Jade

Edited by JadeT

Chris Kelly is based in SE and teaches double bass, not sure if he'll have a spare instrument but worth a try:

Posted (edited)

IIRC Dave Swift, Jools Holland's Bassist, was offering one-to-one lessons.

He's a member here (swiftbass) and on Indeed. 

Edited by TheGreek

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By sumorabbit
      Bassix folding upright bass in good working order, has a few battle scars and a rattle which don't affect playability. Sturdy and sounds good through an amp with the included pickup. More images of marks to follow when I pull it from storage at a relatives house, it just isn't getting used at the moment.
      Accepting £600
      Bass'd in Chorley Lancashire
      video here
      https://www.facebook.com/PaulRLBass/videos/1248627765263542/
      piccies ( more to follow soon)

• By Nix
      Hi. Looking for a West Midlands bass player (aged 25-30 male or female) with backing vocals. Not interested in current trends as it’s time for music with a punch! Have an album made & experience. Don't worry about social media likes etc, we'll sort that with team work and gigs. Key influences: GNR, Black Crowes, Grunge, Lenny Kravitz, Zeppelin & Classic Soul. Commitment, passion & image are very important. Please don’t get in touch if you have too many things going on. Ideally, music is your top priority. Rehearsing once a week is the plan. For music & video please search Junk Antique band.
    • By thenightdoctor
      bass guitarist required to complete line up. currently two guitars and drummer. we do originals and covers of 60's type stuff.. kinks stones beatles etc
      if interested I  can forward some more of the original stuff (to add to the ones on here) to let you hear the style
      no egos in our bunch just good fun although the music is of quite a high standard.. looking at few jam nights first then poss festival charity stuff before who knows what!
      any age or sex... were all 50+ but act like we're 13... 
      07803138662 if interested.... 
      6. children of the night.mp3
      1. saddest man in town.mp3
      5. i will.mp3
    • By frostyj
      We are the Concrete Age - Melodic Death/Thrash Metal from London (UK). 
      Most people know us as Monks of Death Metal. We are currently looking for a permanent bass player. 

Links:

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/c/ConcreteAge 
      FB: https://www.facebook.com/concreteage/
      Instagram:  https://www.instagram.com/concrete_age/

What do we need from you: 

- You must be based in London 
      - Be able to make weekly rehearsals 
      - Ability to play complicated lead parts on a bass 
      - Age range 24 - 32 
      - Have your own gear. 
      - Strong Voice (Backing vocals) 

Please tell us few words about yourself and don`t forget to attach audio/video links with your playing. 

We are looking forward to hear from you

Attached Files:

02.Bon .mp3
      01.Totem of the Great Snake .mp3
      02.Bon .mp3
      08.Ghosts of Sahara .mp3
    • By bassmayhem
      I have a super nice Bulgarian upright bass, a custom built - but not for me - instrument with some strange dimensions.
      The scale is 4/4, but the body is 3/4, built with massive tone wood. It is nothing short than huge. I had to get a new car to be able to transport it smoothly.
      Anyway, the bass is huge, the tone is huge. The instrument is built 2012, so I wonder how the tone will be in a hundred years when it is this big and full now...
      I've used a David Gage Realist on the bass, but it didn't work well. A lot of ugly "mid artifacts" that demanded heavy filtering to sound decent amplified.
      I sold the Realist and bought a Realist LifeLine and an adjustable bridge. The bass loved the LifeLine; it was the opposition to the Copperhead...

I've used the bass with a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ/DI, and with my BasSwitch preamp,  but when I got my little Quilter BassBlock 800 I could amplify
      the bass without preamp. Then I got a Vanderkley Spartan, and that one did NOT like the piezo pickup at all. The input impedance on the amp was a real mis-match to the LifeLine.
      Then my eye caught the little Redeemer Beltpack from Creation Audio Labs. It has an input impedance over 20 Mohms(!!!) making any pickup work well with any amp.
      I ordered one, and Lo and Behold! The tone is big and full. No gain problems. No need for eq-ing other than cutting some low bass. Best preamp I've ever used.
      So far the Beltpack isn't finally mounted on the tailpiece of the bass, I have to think a bit more before I get the proper design for the fastener. Anyway, the bass hasn't sounded petter amplified...