Why become a member? ×

It never rains.

radiophonic

Not the Dire Straits song and a bit of a ramble. Last month, both of my bands imploded. In the space of two days, I went from being borderline over-committed to band-less. It was sufficiently hard line that all of one band's YouTube videos were taken down, FB page disappeared (before I knew about the split), website off-line, the works. I promptly rewired my pedal board for ambient solo stuff and began the depressing journey through the joinmyband wanted ads 'Hi - we're a serious metal band...'. 'We play all sorts of music, rhythm and blues AND classic rock'. Etc. Not much for an ageing weirdo like me. Then the emails began.  Turns out (well, this is my take anyway) that once a band has split, the more high-maintenance members of the ensemble no longer have an outlet for their complaints and actually, being a band is better than not being in a band. I made my return conditional on no 'acoustic gigs' and greater attention to detail - using rehearsal time effectively, not relying on what you already know. The drummer has shelled out for a kick pedal for his cajon and it sounds tremendous. One practice down and we retooled three songs in three hours. The whole thing is a massive upgrade and it really felt like the energy was back.  Hopefully this is more than a post-script. Ditto, the epic shoegaze startup. Different situation - all personality issues - and as the new guy, I figured it was me who'd be out. Turns out I was wrong and the drummer has been cut loose. Bold move IMO, but the singer is solid gold so I'm pretty stoked to still on board. 

Then last night , I nipped out to see another band - local but I'm a total fan of their music and turn out every time they play - and got tapped up to join. I actually thought they were joking initially. A month ago I'd have bitten their hands off and I couldn't believe I was basically turning down a band I'd love to play for, but once again I am over-committed. Lessons learned - or at least underlined? Go to shows, if you like a band don't be cool, tell them so. You never know.

I had a similar thing happen a few years ago, everything I'd been involved in musically imploded simultaneously and I was left with no band.
During the following month I was approached by three people asking me to join or form a band, I went with the first ones to actually sort out a rehearsal.
Ten years later I'm still there.