Why become a member? ×

Band name directory?

KevB

My current band will be fizzling out shortly but some members may reform and to be fair we ought to change the name. Is there an easily accessible online directory of bands currently working? I suppose most of them should have some web presence so a check by Google or in MySpace will probably turn up most of them but would be nice if there was a single directory somewhere.
Cheers
Kev

[quote name='KevB' post='338288' date='Nov 27 2008, 12:13 PM']My current band will be fizzling out shortly but some members may reform and to be fair we ought to change the name. Is there an easily accessible online directory of bands currently working? I suppose most of them should have some web presence so a check by Google or in MySpace will probably turn up most of them but would be nice if there was a single directory somewhere.
Cheers
Kev[/quote]

[url="http://www.bandname.com/index.aspx"]www.bandname.com[/url]

[quote name='KevB' post='338288' date='Nov 27 2008, 12:13 PM']My current band will be fizzling out shortly but some members may reform and to be fair we ought to change the name. Is there an easily accessible online directory of bands currently working? I suppose most of them should have some web presence so a check by Google or in MySpace will probably turn up most of them but would be nice if there was a single directory somewhere.
Cheers
Kev[/quote]

Kev,
by far the best way is to do a url check
[url="http://www.uk2.net/"]http://www.uk2.net/[/url]
If they don't have the url and you get it (and the various vriations) then you win.

You'll have to check Myspace as well as the url check won't look there.

[quote name='acidbass' post='338395' date='Nov 27 2008, 01:45 PM']Just type your band's name into Myspace. How many serious bands do you know that don't have one? :)[/quote]

That's what I thought but then I just tried finding a mate's band who already have FORTY gigs booked for 2009 and they have virtually no web presence at all, they mainly use an agent and even that web page is sparse of info - just goes to show...

[quote name='KevB' post='338686' date='Nov 27 2008, 05:32 PM']That's what I thought but then I just tried finding a mate's band who already have FORTY gigs booked for 2009 and they have virtually no web presence at all, they mainly use an agent and even that web page is sparse of info - just goes to show...[/quote]

Yeah but if they choose not to have a web site, no listing on the web under gig-gide or the agent's website or myspace and you get their name that's their problem.

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='338694' date='Nov 27 2008, 05:36 PM']Yeah but if they choose not to have a web site, no listing on the web under gig-gide or the agent's website or myspace and you get their name that's their problem.[/quote]

For web-based usage: maybe. But if a band has already established a name, has property in that name, presentation of that name protected by trademark or copyright, and you attempt to operate the same name in the same field you could find yourself being litigated for infringement. Alternatively, usage could also attract an action for "passing off". It's not as straightforward as simply registering a URL.

[quote name='noelk27' post='338714' date='Nov 27 2008, 05:50 PM']For web-based usage: maybe. But if a band has already established a name, has property in that name, presentation of that name protected by trademark or copyright, and you attempt to operate the same name in the same field you could find yourself being litigated for infringement. Alternatively, usage could also attract an action for "passing off". It's not as straightforward as simply registering a URL.[/quote]

Sure..

But I'd suggest, M'lud, that any band that hasn't registered the url's and myspace in their band name may be deemed to have not done enough to adequately defend their trade name.
:)

We had that problem. Someone chose to use the same name as the band I was in despite us being very visible on the web for 5 years before they started. Then they got a poor review in the Guardian, with a picture of our band attached, (lazy picture editor ...) Didn't hurt us as it was a different sector and geographical region but for them it was a stupid thing to do as every time a fan or radio person or booker tried to find them they found us instead.

They made pretty good club records though and we even had bookers try to book them by calling us ...

So .......

My advice would be to use a name made up of two unconnected words that no one else has or is likely to have.
Say Arctic and monkey
Keiser and Cheif
Wealthy and Musician