Why become a member? ×

Learning bass after 40's

pnunes76

Great advice re-leaving it out in the lounge etc...(start cheap so it wont matter if the dog sends if flying)....but above all just do it. Bass is a little bit forgiving and it wont take too long for you to sound like ur actually sounding good.

And don't forget, there's plenty of good advice on here for when u run into any probs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nicko said:

I played guitar for many years but was never very good at it.  I stumbled on bass aged 39 and found that I was much better as a bass player.  I never looked back and consider myself a bass player who also plays a bit of guitar.

Learn the bare basics and join a band for accelerated success.

This sums up my situation, except I bought my first bass at 46.  First gig at 50.  Now 60.  It was like a small bit of me that had been missing all my life was finally in place :)

• Like 2

Just six months of the wife's polishing and my new P bass looks like this. I just got her to apply for a position at the Fender CS

just Joshing,    pic Curtesy of those Limelight boys

image.thumb.png.1d328aaeae2cf38a7894d7a84e80190a.png

Edited by deepbass5
  • Like 1

I didn't read the whole thread so I might be guilty of repeating. 

I started playing at 38. I am now 54 and gig regularly - have done for most of that time. Here is some random advice that springs to mind.

- Set up your bass so you can pick it up, flick a switch and practice. Reduce the number of impediments to practice to the absolute minimum. 
- The first few weeks and months is the bad bit. There is a 'hump' to get over. If you want to do it you will but you'll need to dig in. Eventually it starts to make some sense and you can play stuff. 
- There are loads of good books, YouTube videos and stuff in these forums. You should use them all but when you are starting out and you will be overwhelmed and clueless a few quid spent on a teacher is a good investment. 
- If in doubt, learn the bass parts from LOTS of existing songs. Try to do it by ear. Apply the theory I hope you have learned. Choose different genres. 
- You don't have to buy expensive equipment but buy something half decent that you actually want to play. Equally well, expect your tastes to mature and you'll want something else/different in time. 
- It doesn't matter if it's a P/J/MM or whatever. Equipment will never make you better but practice will. "Your tone" is a luxury. In tune will do.
- Aim to find a band and play some gigs as soon as you can. It's terrifying to start with but nothing will teach you quicker. Don't be ashamed of being a beginner - if you need time to learn the parts, say so.
- Some people really benefit from open mic nights and the like. Some people (me!) can't think of anything worse. 
- Always aim to find musicians better than you not worse. 
- You don't have as much free time at 40 as you would at 14. Pick your battles. Aim to practice every day but you can't and don't have to learn everything. If you don't want to learn slap then don't learn it. 
- Dedicate some time to learning music theory. It's good for you!
- Buy a tuner
- You're probably going to meet some strange people you wouldn't have done otherwise...

Edited by thepurpleblob
  • Like 3