Why become a member? ×

NCD BF One10 not so JIT more JAL

JohnDaBass

I have a BF  Super Compact, two DIY BassChat Mk1( one with a slot port & one with 4 x tube ports) & a Fender Rumble112 v2. I use these in differing combinations with  Mesa D800 & Fender Rumble 500 head for the various venues I play. Recently one of my bands had secured a number of ongoing gigs in a small venue and I wanted something really small because of the tighter space and small room size. I considered a Fender Rumble 500 combo but concluded a BF One10 would be just the job as I already had the Fender head.

So I rang BF to check delivery lead time and Harry informed me that it was 3 to 4 weeks so I duly paid my deposit on 24th April. Having emailed weekly to check progress I was told on 21st May that the cab was in Test and would be shipped that week. As I needed the cab for Saturday 26th May I phoned Thursday morning to make sure I got the cab on  Friday before the gig. I got no reply having phoned dozens of times throughout the day. I finally got an answer from Tom at 3pm to say that it would ship on Thursday . Great ! time to play it in a bit and get the right EQ settings. Sadly I had a further call to say that the FedEx pickup time had been missed but BF would cover the extra shipping cost for a Saturday delivery. Having expressed my disappointment with the poor communications I received an email from the Man himself Mr Alex Claber explaining that the factory had been shut for most of the day because the team were on LEAN & 5S training . 

So my order wasn't so Just-In-Time more Just-Abit-Late 😂

Now I have tried the new Tech 21 VT 200 combo & the Fender Rumble 500 combo and the Fender definitely suited my needs best. I was disappointed with the VT 200 combo as the speaker lacked depth & the headphone socket was really noisey. The preamp was great with all the familiar VT Bass sounds on hand but the missing blend control was a disappointment. 

Setup the One10 for the gig on an angled stand with the Fender head on top secured to the cab handle by a nifty DIY bracket that I'll share on another thread. Fired up and what a sound!😎 The One10 was absolutely amazing for it's size with a huge amount of depth and clarity. Considering I was using the same head as in the Rumble 500 combo the One10 was much louder and fuller than the Fender combo with a much smaller footprint.

From the various comments on forums I was expecting the One10 to be far more 'coloured' than the Super Compact but to my ears it was only a little warmer and to achieve my particular sound I did have to back off the upper Mids but not as much as when using the Super Compact. 

All in all the One10 has been a great purchase that provides me with every foreseeable combination I need for the venues I play. A One10 on an angled stand provides a small compact solution that delivers a really loud, full, articulate sound that suits me perfectly.

Thanks Harry & Tom 

Edited by JohnDaBass
Spelling mistakes
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, naxos10 said:

Nice you to hear you are happy with the sound JohnDaBass - I have the Two10 and concur with your conclusions.

Would be interested in your DIY bracket.

What stand are you using?

The stand I use is the one recommended by Dood 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stagg-14708-Short-Amplifier-Monitor/dp/B002MUGL2W

It folds flat ( almost) and angles the cab up to my ears nicely.

The Nifty DIY bracket is simply made from three pieces of 9mm or 12mm Plywood.

The top piece is cut the same size as the amp and four holes are drilled for each of the feet.

The second piece is 25mm wide by 140mm and third piece ( which acts like a Claw sitting under the cab handle) is 140mm by 90mm with the corners removed to act as a guide. The three pieces are glued and screwed to form a 'Claw' over the handle of the cab. Four large rubber feet are added and some Velcro to the top of the bracket and underside of the amp to provide added security.

It works a treat for me!

The angle of the cab and amp is directed up so I can hear myself and provide easy access to the Fender controls. The air shifted by the One10 really flaps my flares ( sorry being a Child of the 60's & 70's the flares still just fit but now have a neat elasticated waistband installed to compensate for the beer belly!!)

So my Fender Rumble Combieeee  is just right for me.

20180528_163944.jpg

20180528_163957.jpg

20180528_164113.jpg

20180528_164131.jpg

20180528_164333.jpg

20180528_164518.jpg

20180528_164402.jpg

Edited by JohnDaBass
  • Like 1

I must admit to being tempted by the One 10 for just this sort of use. Of course I'd rather design and build my own being me but I just can't find a suitable 10" driver to deliver the sound I'm after.

Did you read the simple 12" build thread I put up recently? The one where I stuffed the original Basschat Mk1 into a 30l cab. If you get time to do a quick build I'd be interested in what someone who has lived with the Mk1 for a while thought of the smaller and more coloured cab. It's nowhere near the small size of the One 10 but if you wanted to experiment...…….

Thank you for your comments, it's always a pleasure to read your valuable contributions.

Yes I did follow the Simple 12" thread and had it not been for some family matters that scuppered my plan to be at the Bass Bash I would have been able to see the assembly in the flesh. The video is excellent!

After you & Stevie helped to sort out my early issues with chuffing & cab tuning I have  fallen in love with my two Mk1s. They deliver exactly what I desire and used in different combinations with my other cabs cover all my venue needs.I don't think Mrs DaBass would allow anymore cabs in the house as the One10 had to be sneaked in while she was out shopping.(One10 is quite easy to hide under the bed next to last bass I bought without her knowing).

While the idea of a more coloured smaller 12" cab is appealing I going to stick to what I have at the moment.The Mk1 is truly an excellent design and out performs many, many big brand offerings.

Thanks to you and Stevie for improving the lives and sounds of many bass players.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

• Like 1