Why become a member? ×

My JB75 100 (tone cooking stove)

jay249

My marcus pastorius machine! I far prefer it without the guard though, for sure.

I'm aware my bridge isnt set up! this is when i first got it home and whacked a badass straight on!
wondering if my bartolini's might go well in this one....
Might try it as-is tonight's gig and tomorrow's with the barts! Edited by jay249

It cost about 400 quid from ishibashi, and the customs and import stuff was 93 quid, and it took about 3 days to get here including a weekend, and bloody ages over here.

I tracked it online and went to pick it up as soon as it was in Bristol, I realised how clever I'd been when 3 days later a parcel force letter comes through the door saying my parcel has arrived but I have to pay the charges before they'll deliver it or let me have it.

Though this is fair enough, I've had parcels of fairly high customs charges brought to my door.

But the bass is amazing, it's lighter and better balanced than my 1978 jazz bass, i was considering one that even looke da lot like it but decided a to be Marcus Pastorius instead, it plays and feels exactly like my other one, I had a long long gig last night and kept forgetting it wasn't the old one!

May solder in the Bartolini's for gig tonight...

I'd forgot the cables on the Barts aren't too long and difficult to solder in, they belong on my fretless jap jazz which i did a homemade s1 job on and I can't be bothered to figure out how they go back on!

The problem i get with the barts is you don't get that ''pop'' when you hit or really pluck a string, which im guessing is caused by string-pole contact, i dont mean the proper touching of them though, its hard to explain but its something i like to have, especially as it keeps my slapping in check because i don't hit too hard!

They go perfectly on the fretless though, but theres always a huge output difference when i switch bass, which conweeniences me when i cant hear myself!

The pickups it has are just fine though, i love the stock p/us on my 78 jazz, in fact ive never heard ones like them, this one does sound slightly different as well, will fit roto 66's soon to do a side by side comparison, might even post some mp3's!

It's not quite that, no it's just when the strings are coming very close to that you get a nice squelchy type attack, type..sound, try getting your pickup close to the string but not too close, and then try slapping the e string

ok kool... When after my holiday when i get some money I intend getting a badass 2 and some new pickups prob seymour duncan basslines as my pickups arent the best on my jazz and im quite heavy handed so my stock bridge is wrecked....but when i them ill give it a go!!!

Cheers

i play rock so i really need a gritty(er) but low end punchy sound. Bartolini's (so iv read) are better for jazz, funk etc whereas when i tried a set of basslines i found they could get both types of sound... dont get me wrong im not saying bart's are bad i just think they will be a bit too smooth for the kinda sound im after.

Fairy snuff, the the thing i like about Barts that a lot of other jazz pickups cant do is stay quiet when only using one at a time, and this means they take better to distortion and 15K pa systems because there's less buzzzzzzzzzzzz, handy.

I dunno about Seymour Duncan's i have a P bass 1/4 pounder but i only kept the bass it was from for a few weeks.

I rewired the fretless today and decided to keep the barts in it purely because i don't think it'll make a huge improvement or difference, the usa pickups that came with the 'stove' are great

Nah I think I'll leave 'her' as she is, she has about 15 scratches and dents already after two gigs and two rehearsals and life with me!

I'm rubbish at ''looking after' things, I might go out and 'relic' my car into Cheddar Gorge later.

Like I said, go and get it and pay the customs at your local parcelforce, the man at my parcelforce was the kind of guy who's worked there too long and every time i inconvenienced him slightly like ''oh ill pay by cash'' it was ''oh i suppose i'll [b]have[/b] to go and get your change....

...well....yeah

it's not been charged by customs just yet, + it's at the international depot in coventry- I'll wait until they send it down to the gatwick depot and pick it up from there-

going to slap on a hipshot detuner, audere preamp and black scratchplate as soon as I get it ;D