Why become a member? ×

Neck settling advice

Hi, just picked up a nice used P&J Squier to use as a back up. However, the neck had quite a bit of forward bow. I've spent the last few days straightening it with the truss rod, but each morning it's bowed back just a little, not by much, but enough to raise the action and be annoying. My question is, will this eventually settle and be straight? How long do you think? Cheers.

That really depends on the strength of the neck, maybe try tuning each string up half a step or so at an evening and then tune it back and see how that helps the relief. The extra tension might just shift everything back into place

56 minutes ago, bassituation said:

Hi, just picked up a nice used P&J Squier to use as a back up. However, the neck had quite a bit of forward bow. I've spent the last few days straightening it with the truss rod, but each morning it's bowed back just a little, not by much, but enough to raise the action and be annoying. My question is, will this eventually settle and be straight? How long do you think? Cheers.

Hi

It sometimes takes necks a little while to settle.  Also, extreme temperature and humidity differences can make a big difference (in many parts of US, winter / summer adjustment of trussrods is routine) and we've had some extremes this last couple of weeks (assuming you are mid to south UK).

You can help to accelerate straightening a neck by physically bending it, but as long as the truss rod isn't getting worryingly tight, I would carry on tweaking it and leaving it a day to settle then check again and repeat if necessary.