Why become a member? ×

External iPhone microphone

BrunoBass

Can anyone recommend a half decent plug in mic for recording rough demos and song sketches to an iPhone 7 (or iPad Mini?) 

I have a nice USB mic that used to be compatible with my iPad Mini; it drew power from the iPad and was perfect for recording. Up then in Apple’s perpetual quest to make their devices obsolete they changed the voltage in an IOS update. And the mic wouldn’t work anymore. 

Ideally the mic should work with an IPhone 7 with IOS11. Any recommendations please? 

I’ve got a Shure MV88 which is a stereo condenser that plugs directly into the lightning port of an iPhone or iPad. It draws power from the device itself and has internal DSP with a number of settings you can edit within the Shure Motiv app. You can change the recording pattern from mono to stereo (including adjustment of the stereo field,) add compression, enable wind reduction, apply EQ etc. There’s a setting for recoding in high-SPL environments like live gigs too. And because the DSP processing is done within the mic itself it means that whatever settings you’ve saved in the Shure app will carry over to other recording apps you may want to use, including the default iOS camera app. There are quite a few reviews of it online but here’s one of them:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

I’ve got a Shure MV88 which is a stereo condenser that plugs directly into the lightning port of an iPhone or iPad. It draws power from the device itself and has internal DSP with a number of settings you can edit within the Shure Motiv app. You can change the recording pattern from mono to stereo (including adjustment of the stereo field,) add compression, enable wind reduction, apply EQ etc. There’s a setting for recoding in high-SPL environments like live gigs too. And because the DSP processing is done within the mic itself it means that whatever settings you’ve saved in the Shure app will carry over to other recording apps you may want to use, including the default iOS camera app. There are quite a few reviews of it online but here’s one of them:

Thanks, that looks pretty much perfect.