Why become a member? ×

Disappointing customer service at bass dealer

Actually I have to give County Music in Canterbury a mention. No high end bass stuff in there as such, but I bought a short scale Squier Jag from them a couple of weeks ago. I took in my own pickups and they installed them and set up the bass at no extra cost, and they had it ready in a couple of hours. I know a pickup swap is not a big deal but it's nice of them to do it for free, especially when I wasn't spending big bucks. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, project_c said:

Actually I have to give County Music in Canterbury a mention. No high end bass stuff in there as such, but I bought a short scale Squier Jag from them a couple of weeks ago. I took in my own pickups and they installed them and set up the bass at no extra cost, and they had it ready in a couple of hours. I know a pickup swap is not a big deal but it's nice of them to do it for free, especially when I wasn't spending big bucks. 

I was eyeing up the Squier Jags just this morning! Any good?

5 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

I was eyeing up the Squier Jags just this morning! Any good?

First impressions are good. I put quarter pounders in there, which makes a difference. The tone is a bit more high-mids focused than I'm used to, but it's not hard to find a sweet spot. The P side is as you'd expect, the J side is thin (also as you'd expect). I like it with the tone halfway down, the J on full, and the P halfway-ish. The setup is great, action goes really low, frets seem fine. Very growly if you dig in.

Bridge and tuners seem ok (still testing those), neck is ok, it's a fun bass. Don't expect Fender Custom Shop, but I think i'll take it out on a gig, it seems to be doing a good job so far. I was ready to get a Mustang but I need access to the high frets. If Fender made a 'proper' USA Jag shortie with a maple board, I would buy one for sure.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, project_c said:

First impressions are good. I put quarter pounders in there, which makes a difference. The tone is a bit more high-mids focused than I'm used to, but it's not hard to find a sweet spot. The P side is as you'd expect, the J side is thin (also as you'd expect). I like it with the tone halfway down, the J on full, and the P halfway-ish. The setup is great, action goes really low, frets seem fine. Very growly if you dig in.

Bridge and tuners seem ok (still testing those), neck is ok, it's a fun bass. Don't expect Fender Custom Shop, but I think i'll take it out on a gig, it seems to be doing a good job so far. I was ready to get a Mustang but I need access to the high frets. If Fender made a 'proper' USA Jag shortie with a maple board, I would buy one for sure.

Thanks for that - sounds decent. Might be worth an investigation, especially considering the price!