Why become a member? ×

IEM - Lo-Fi solution?

udo

Hi all, 

I sometimes find myself wanting just a bit of my bass in my ear when playing gigs where the monitors don't do it.

I don't care about the other instruments in the band, just need some more of my bass :)

Is anyone aware of a lo-fi solution to this without the full IEM wireless set up?  I envisage something like these plug-in headphone amps (like the VOX amPLUG2).

You simply plug a little amp into the bass jack, that dongle has two outputs, one being an amplified headphone out (which would be my IEM for my bass) and then simply a jack out where I would plug in my cable to go off to the pedals.

I hope that makes sense. I looked around but couldn't find anything like that, maybe it's too basic to exist?

Any ideas if such a device is out there?

Cheers,

Udo

Yes, I used to have a preamp with headphone output and normal output to an amp. I plugged some in ear phones (shure e2c) into the preamp with a little inline volume control. I’d simply adjust the volume to taste. The foam inserts in the headphones made the band a bit quieter and I could get my bass exactly the right mix in my ears. Worked perfectly!

22 minutes ago, Mottlefeeder said:

A couple of years ago I couldn't find one, so I made one. As you say, a simple circuit will do the job. If you are into the DIY side of music/electronics, I can post the circuit, layout, etc.

David

Thanks for the offer, but that's not  my forte. I'd probably manage to destroy something valuable along the way.

Assuming that your bass is active, and does not need a hi-Z input impedance on the amp, you could use a small mixer between the bass and the amp to give you a headphone-out facility (Bass to mixer 'line input', mixer 'main mix' output to amp input, mixer 'monitor output' to headphones). A Behringer Xenyx 502 at £30 would do it.

If you use a passive bass, you could take the mixer feed from the line-out or effects-out of the amp (if it has one) or you could look for a mixer that has a Hi-Z instrument input, and connect it as above. A single-instrument-channel mixer like an Alesis multimix 4 at £85, or a soundcraft Notepad 5 at £85, would do it, or a Mackie 402 for £99 would give you two instrument channels - I use one of these as a 'me / them' monitor using a feed from the bass amp and a feed from the PA.

David