Why become a member? ×

Buying advice

Fastra

I've only been playing bass now for about 20 months (although played guitar for 20 odd years), and play in a rock/pop covers band - brilliant set of lads and we have an absolute blast.
In 2 weeks I'm 50 and want to buy something special - as in a new bass.

I've very drawn to this thing... and it's probably right there in how much money I can afford (saved up birthday/chrimbo/gig money)....

Fender Deluxe Active Precision Bass Special Surf Pearl PF

:)
I love the colour and would like to have the tone flexibilities.
https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/electric-bass-guitars/fender-deluxe-active-precision-bass-special-surf-pearl-pf?gclid=Cj0KCQiAs9zSBRC5ARIsAFMtUXG8tHBCm0zSnuonJCeTexELdOViYaS5jI9XfIcG82ZV97wypo9D3XwaAlhNEALw_wcB
Plus another £130(ish) for a decent case.

I've never played this particular one (although I've tried and liked simiar Precisions in shops) - but to be honest if 90% of the bass playing world can manage with them then I'm sure that, at my particular skill curve, I can live with it!

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated - I'm pretty much convinced Im gettting this (love the colour, the looks and am impressed by how they play), but it's always good to look at other things I've not considered.

This is my current set-up:
Yamaha BB424
Hartke LH500 amp.
Gallien Krueger 410 MBE-II 8 Ohm
Ashdown MAG 410 8 0hm

20171111_210812 (1).jpg

2 posts huh? well 1st things first, welcome to best bass forum on t'internet!

As for the bass, well that colour would tempt me greatly I gotta admit.  I cant comment on the pre amp as I'm mainly a passive man, but I'm sure someone will be along soon to give proper advice.  All I can say is, if YOU like it..that's good enough!

• Like 1

I have the Mexican P Bass Special, which is pretty well the same instrument. It's decent and versatile. Note that they sell used for a lot less than the new price on the link you posted. There's one on eBay at the moment - black with a maple neck - for half that amount and it appears mint. I'd search for a used one if I were you. Have you actually played one, btw? Never buy without trying is a good rule. You may not be able to try the actual one you intend to buy, but mass produced instruments are much of a muchness, so you should be able to find one to try somewhere.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys.

Oops - yeah, sorry jumped sraight in there eh - I did post an intro post a while ago though.
As mentioned, I reckon I pretty much getting it and as you say it's very much a personal thing where the colour combo and 'precision' thing just does it for me at the moment.

Dan - thanks for that, it's defo this colour I 'NEED' :D - and as it's a special purchase I'd rather it be new. Never played this specific model, but played a few Mexicans which like you say is pretty much the same - and liked the way they played.

Just a quick addition. The P Special is not like a P Bass. The neck is the narrower Jazz Bass type. It does a reasonable approximation of the P bass sound, but you won't get that really thick vintage thump from it in my experience. However, the J pickup makes it a lot more versatile. Do think about buying used, though. You'll save a lot of money.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Just a quick addition. The P Special is not like a P Bass. The neck is the narrower Jazz Bass type. It does a reasonable approximation of the P bass sound, but you won't get that really thick vintage thump from it in my experience. However, the J pickup makes it a lot more versatile. Do think about buying used, though. You'll save a lot of money.

Cheers Dan - appreciate it.

Looking at American Pros now :D - don't so the surf Pearl

though :(

https://www.reidys.com/pr/electric-guitars/fender-american-pro-p-bass-rw-olympic-white-23617/?&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=Feed&utm_campaign=PriceComparison&gclid=CjwKCAiA1uHSBRBUEiwAkBCtzcKKiS6K3tO0BDveh07H57CLnC6y_kk0agXJtL-PJHtcGFW9g0H2lxoC4kkQAvD_BwE

and they come with the fancy case - saving £150 ish

Bugger!

Looks a good option,quality,versatility.I like how the looks are maybe overtaking the practical ins and outs :D proper bass player .As said used stuff saves you paying over the odds and is handy if you have a change of heart for resale values.Most basses fall into the Jazz or P Bass camp and this is a good combination of both

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jazzmanb said:

Looks a good option,quality,versatility.I like how the looks are maybe overtaking the practical ins and outs :D proper bass player .

haaa - yeah, I thought that as I wrote - style over substance and all that...!!!
DEFINELTY!!!

I don't think there's really anything special about bass guitars.

Understand what you like in terms of the neck feel and qulaity of a bass and how your going to use it.

And it's easier to over pay for a nice bass then get a great deal on a nice bass

My year 2000 MIJ Fender P was only $500.00 with hard shell case.

Blue

IMG_20161012_154327.jpg

• 4 weeks later...