Why become a member? ×

Mooer Black Secret for bass?

radiophonic

I've been looking at Rat style distortions and this looks like a steal at around 50 quid. If it works as advertised, you get the LED / Si switching that differentiates the Rat from the Turbo Rat and the same filter control. Tiny footprint too. I'm sort of torn between this and an actual Rat. I think it's the Turbo sound that I really need for that really spluttery sound and better low end. The Mooer is about half the money of course. Anyone tried one and how did it hold the low end in Turbo mode?

Well I just picked up a Turbo Rat anyway. The Cat Tail is like 200 quid these days, which seems excessive for a slightly modded clone of an 80s distortion. The ProCo is built like a tank. It does cut a bit of bass, but I'm not too concerned at the moment.  If I stack it with a Pork Loin, the extreme top end is tamed a fair bit but it still sounds as nasty as hell. There's always the option of doing the resistor mod - which I think is all the 'bass focused' clones do anyway. Having tried the MXR and read around a bit, it seems like improved bass trades of against the spitty / spluttery top end but it's that sound that I'm after.

On 06/01/2018 at 08:41, radiophonic said:

Well I just picked up a Turbo Rat anyway. The Cat Tail is like 200 quid these days, which seems excessive for a slightly modded clone of an 80s distortion. The ProCo is built like a tank. It does cut a bit of bass, but I'm not too concerned at the moment.  If I stack it with a Pork Loin, the extreme top end is tamed a fair bit but it still sounds as nasty as hell. There's always the option of doing the resistor mod - which I think is all the 'bass focused' clones do anyway. Having tried the MXR and read around a bit, it seems like improved bass trades of against the spitty / spluttery top end but it's that sound that I'm after.

In the mxr I have to agree as the blend is horrible! Glad your happy with the turbo rat man! 

I used to have a standard rat and they are cool! 

Lots more rat rat clones out there which do the spluttering nasty sound than just the fuzzrocious that keep your lows so if the low end loss becomes a problem it’s a easy fix.