Why become a member? ×

Ravey Covers?

redbandit599

Hi all, just had our first proper gig with our singer playing keys. All good ? 

Typical 4 piece covers band but up for trying new stuff.

Singer was knocking out a few little techno bits on the keys during sound check and it got me thinking about cross over dance / rave stuff.

Anyone attempted anything like Prodigy, Pendulum, Faithless type stuff in a pub - any numbers that worked? Did it die on it's derrière?

Cheers

Jason

Edited by redbandit599
Not fancy

Maybe not quite what you're looking for, but I've played quite a bit of house (90's and some more current stuff) on cover/party gigs. 

Bands I've played with have done Lady, Freed from Desire, Music Sounds Better With You, Ready for Your Love (Gorgon City- mad bass hook) and some of Calvin Harris tunes, most of which seem to have a pretty high dance floor filling potential...

My experience is that dance stuff can work really well, but you have to be careful to differentiate the structures in terms of tone (bring all your FX :biggrin:) and dynamics, whilst resisting the temptation to get noodly with the main patterns/lines. When the material is so repetitive, it's super easy to go into naff-jam territory. It's helpful in terms of vibe if the drummer plays an SPDX pad- you've got to have those clap snares!