Why become a member? ×

Pickups Spectrum Analyze Help

zvirus

Hi,

Anyone please help me to decode pickups properties? Which one has better ones? (Well my ears telling me this, but maybe they are not right somehow)

It`s two different Basses with bridge pickup dialled, tone 100% A string. DI, same level set for both. At this stage I`ll only tell You one of them is Squier Pickup the other is "Fancy Pickup" on a fancy Bass....(green wave)

Thanks in advance,
Tomas

Edited by zvirus

Interesting, although one person's "right" will be another person's "wrong" - there is no universal correct answer to "which sounds better".

The green pickup appears to have less fundamental bass level and also less higher harmonics. The purple pickup has relatively more bass and more high end.

I couldn't say which sounds better (to me) by looking at the spectra though - I'd guess the purple one based on the apparently wider range?

[quote name='nilebodgers' timestamp='1509698081' post='3400889']
Interesting, although one person's "right" will be another person's "wrong" - there is no universal correct answer to "which sounds better".

The green pickup appears to have less fundamental bass level and also less higher harmonics. The purple pickup has relatively more bass and more high end.

I couldn't say which sounds better (to me) by looking at the spectra though - I'd guess the purple one based on the apparently wider range?
[/quote]

A reply I was expecting :)

To my ear purple (Squier) Sounds better and spectrum analyze says why. Took me years to realise that we all are fooled by music business telling us that i.e. USA made Fender is a good sounding bass (even when it`s frets are covered in varnish!) and Squier is crap because... is cheap.

We do not talk about USA Fender (Green wave) but same story. Every time I connect Squier to my amp I`m more than pleased with it`s sound and dont give a penny it costed me £200 not £2000.... One of the best made and sounding bass ever played (Yes Squier CV Jazz)

Thank You again!
Tomas

Edited by zvirus

It looks like the grey frequency plot was for a louder source - almost 5db difference at the fundamental? If that's the case be careful the comparison isn't swayed the perceived loudness differences, and of course plucking the string with different levels of attack may also influence the harmonic content to an extent.

Assuming A=55hz, one could attempt to make some calculations / statement about relative difference in harmonics above the fundamental, but something like a Match EQ (in Logic, i'm sure other DAW's have their own versions) would be better for this - analyse the two recorded sounds and automatically plot EQ curve differences between them.

To me, it looks like biggest difference is in the 500-800hz range, where some of the "growl" normally sits. Perhaps there is some difference in the 1/2k range ("bite" or extension)

To be honest, trying to tell pickups apart from just looking at this chart only is tricky and may potentially be misleading. Why not post as-similar-as-possible recordings of the two, ideally level-matched? (our ears easily fool us into thinking louder is better).

To paraphrase Joe Meek (?), if it sounds right, it is right.... Normally more expensive pickups are better made in an objective basis (better materials, more careful attention to detail), but subjectively you may feel otherwise ...

cheers
Roman

Edited by roman_sub

[quote name='roman_sub' timestamp='1509898428' post='3402418']

To paraphrase Joe Meek (?), if it sounds right, it is right.... Normally more expensive pickups are better made in an objective basis (better materials, more careful attention to detail), but subjectively you may feel otherwise ...

cheers
Roman
[/quote]

Very well said... Ones I ve had an old GMR Bass looking like warwick with same hardware and wood including passive active MECs (I`d blame pickups) and thought: I have a good bass and it was good until I bought: Squier VM Jazz and connected it to same amp... what a surprise my heart said "dont bother - GMR is better bass made like You in Poland(hahaha)" my ears: "This Squier sounds way better" i regret following years I was listening to my heart not my ears...

So? I was owing Japenese LTD, USA Standard Jazz, Mexican Precision, LTD made in Indonesia, GMR and Mayones Jabba and now I owe 1x CV Squier Precision and 1x CV Squier Jazz, why 1. They sound good as they are. 2. They are WAY better made than USA Fender&MIM Precision Ive had...

The only fancy and good sounding bass which could compete with Chinese Squier was Jabba, yes I hear You I`m silly but do I care what other say?

Regards
Tomas

Edited by zvirus

[quote name='roman_sub' timestamp='1509898428' post='3402418']
Why not post as-similar-as-possible recordings of the two, ideally level-matched? (our ears easily fool us into thinking louder is better).

[/quote]

Impossible ,fancy bass is gone... I forgot to mention I was trying to match output in DAW(Reaper) but as said Squiers pickup has more output anyway. i forget to mention in fancy bass was/is humbucker pickup and I have splitted coil into single coil with humbucker in series it was not as bad as I`d expect. My bad - sorry everyone

Edited by zvirus