Why become a member? ×

Darkglass 900 head DI

sixist

Anyone had any issues with the Darkglass 900 head DI output?

It seems to be hissy generally (I know most amps are quite noisy), but the output signal level is also quite low - so to get anything out of the PA, you have to crank the mixer gain and fader right up, resulting in vast amounts of hiss. To make it sound half way acceptable, I end up cutting the mixer mid eq almost to minimum.
I expected some noise on the MT channels, but this is on the clean channel with flat eq.
Contrasting with plugging the bass directly into the desk - strong and clear and hiss-free.

It could be a faulty head, I guess, hence asking if anyone else has an issue.

Ken

• Like 1

How is your master volume set on the amp? The DI is, I believe, post master volume on the M900. Pretty major flaw in the design which I believe has been rectified on the new M500. Try turning volume up.

The hiss may just be the signal to noise ratio being all out of whack because you're trying to boost a low signal as your volume level is (I assume) so low.

If it's not down to the volume level you may have an issue...

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='sixist' timestamp='1509539236' post='3399711']
Anyone had any issues with the Darkglass 900 head DI output?

It seems to be hissy generally (I know most amps are quite noisy), but the output signal level is also quite low - so to get anything out of the PA, you have to crank the mixer gain and fader right up, resulting in vast amounts of hiss. To make it sound half way acceptable, I end up cutting the mixer mid eq almost to minimum.
I expected some noise on the MT channels, but this is on the clean channel with flat eq.
Contrasting with plugging the bass directly into the desk - strong and clear and hiss-free.

It could be a faulty head, I guess, hence asking if anyone else has an issue.

Ken
[/quote]

Hey, can you please send us an email to [email protected]? One of my engineers can check some settings with you to make sure all is working the way it's supposed to.

Kind regards,
Doug.

• Like 1