Why become a member? ×

The future of bassists.

Guest subaudio

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1508087054' post='3389659']
The world will move on, despite such acrimony, and 'Any good for metal' will no longer be recognised as a valid, grammatical phrase. 'Wodja mean, metal, innit..?' will be the future response, coupled with scratching the top of the head. :mellow:
[/quote]

The thing is though, the demographic into music genres like metal is far younger.

I suspect the area which will get less popular as generations depart are the 70s classic songs played in pubs - like All Right Now. In the same way as the audience for The Shadows and the like dwindles - when I played in such a tribute band the age group of the audience never ceased to amaze (or worry) me - let's say there were quite a few very elderly people - nothing wrong with that but....

Music like the Beatles, Tamla etc seems (if the West End is anything to go by) timeless and attracts all generations. In contrast early 70s prog and rock was very largely a male preserve with many sitting twiddling the ends of their beards if you know what I mean.

Bands like ELO etc had a broader appeal (even Level 42 does - I was astonished at the number of 40 something women in the audience at one of their recent concerts).

I don't think bass guitarists have anything to worry about - the likes of X Factor winners will continue to be touring with proper bands and musicians.

Edited by drTStingray

Weren't drum machines supposed to spell the end of real drummers? Funny, but you don't see anyone using one these days, whereas drummers are alive and well. Afraid it's a bit of a silly question. Yes, you can programme all manner of stuff - drums, strings, bass, brass, etc, etc, but whilst playing a musical instrument remains fun, people will keep doing it.