Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Friends bass Guitars

ianrunci

These are photos of my friends guitars. He moved to south africa in the early 80s. the one at the front is his Ashley Pangborn and the two behind were built for him by a guy in SA. They were given to him as a gift and were so good he got rid of his Jaydee's and replaced them with these

Enjoy :)

[quote name='ped' post='321754' date='Nov 4 2008, 01:16 PM']Very cool collection. I wonder how the South African ones compare to the Pang? I have always liked the look of them and it looks as though the S. African chap does some impressive work..

Cheers
ped[/quote]

It was strange really. he said this guy came up to him after he had been out there a few months and he looked like he'd just crawled out of a dustbin. he said I'll make you a bass but you must play it not just add it to the collection. Ian asked him how much and he said free as long as he played it. anyway when he turned up with it Ian said he couldnt believe how good it was and imediately asked him to make him a fretless one.

He said he paid for the hardware on the fretless model but the rest was free. Some people have all the luck :)

Crikey! That is very strange indeed. It wasn't Ashley Pangborn was it ;0) Nobody can seem to get hold of him!

I wonder what the scary man would have done if the bass turned out to be a lemon and didn't get played? I would be on the first plane home just in case!

ped

[quote name='ped' post='321795' date='Nov 4 2008, 02:00 PM']Crikey! That is very strange indeed. It wasn't Ashley Pangborn was it ;0) Nobody can seem to get hold of him!

I wonder what the scary man would have done if the bass turned out to be a lemon and didn't get played? I would be on the first plane home just in case!

ped[/quote]

Apparently Ashley is working for Gibson now in the US