Why become a member? ×

Replacing my Muliti?

Mr.T

Hi...

Although I have been playing Bass for 25 years, I have only been regularly using effects for a few years, since playing in my covers band.
I bought an old Zoom BFX708 to experiment with about five years ago.
Although the unit does pretty much everything I need it to, it can sound a little muddy at times and I would like to replace it with something newer... but what?

I only want to use it for gigging, so don't need USB, etc.
I don't 'need' amp simulation as I am happy with the clean sound of my Status/Trace set-up.
The effects I use are:
Overdrive.
Chorus.
Wah.
Octave.
Fuzz/Ring mod.

(All in moderation and obviously not at the same time!)

I have tried (bought and then sold)....

Line6 Bass XT live and didn't like the Wah or the Octave tracking.
Boss GT6b and didn't like the Wah.
Zoom B2.1u and don't like the fact that you cannot name the patches.

I just always end up reverting back to my Zoom 708.

I have also toyed with seperate pedals, but like the ease of a multi!
(Although I do use a Digitech BSW with my fretless on one song).

So what is left to try... Any suggestions?

It is nice to be able to name patches, but even with my appalling memory, I manage with the B2.1U.

I don't think i've ever used a wah that I liked on a multi-effects. I've not tried enough to make a sweeping statement, but suffice to say, using a standalone wah might be more pleasing to your ear!

For OD, Chorus, Octave, Fuzz, and Ring Mod, I reckon the B2.1U has it covered, although some of the overdrive and fuzz models aren't great.

If your patches on the 708 sound muddy, why not try to EQ them until they're right? If it ain't broke.......

I agree that the B2.1u is a great sounding unit, but...
I think it is really let down by the display in both programming and playing modes.
(Just my opinion).

I have spent some (more) time reading reviews and have ordered a Korg AX3000b which should arrive tomorrow.
(Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near a big music store, and have always found the proof of the pudding to be in a live gigging situation).

Anyone care to share their views on the Korg?

[quote name='Mr.T' post='321569' date='Nov 4 2008, 09:33 AM']Anyone care to share their views on the Korg?[/quote]
I bought one recently. Still exploring it, there were a couple of sounds which I specifically wanted which I was able to get reasonably close to what I had in mind, and there's still a lot in there which I must find by experiment. I like the switching, sequential switching is OK for swapping between two patches but a pain if you use more than two in a song and need rapid switching from one to another.

Well Ive been using a Korg AX3000B for about 2 years now and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread! It really is a cracking unit at a great price. The Octaver, Distortion, Fuzz, Chorus, Delay and even the Synth models are very good and the amp modelling isn't too bad either. I find the switching to work well and tuner tracks really well too. Personally I bought a Dunlop Bass Wah to compliment it, so think what you will about the wah modelling, although I used the Wah in the pedal live for over a year and was very happy with it.

Altogether I think it's a great pedal and well worth the stupidly low price tag. If mine broke I would definitely buy one again, assuming I didn't try and integrate to seperate units, the way I seem to be going.