Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT4 Pro back from repair

dmccombe7

Just got my Ampeg SVT4 Pro back from repair. Had a couple of relays failed and some bad connections on main board.
As i wasn't gigging at the time i just left it in spare room for past year.

Started with another band and bought couple Orange cabs and thought the Ampeg would sound great with them.

I had forgotten how much i loved the sound from my Ampeg when using my Fenders. Rich deep and great mids used thru my Berg HT322.
Rehearsals tomorrow night with my Orange 115 & 210 cabs. Looking forward to trying out the Ampeg.

Currently using my GK MB200 and TE GP150 into both cabs but it lacks that smooth rich tone from a tube amp.

Dave

Just as a matter of interest, who was the tech who did the work? I'm going to be putting mine up for sale soon and I want get it checked over first.
They are great amps but, due mostly to the weight, I simply can't envisage a situation when this will get gigged again.

Cheers,

Beely

Edited by beely

Iain at Glasgow Studio Electronics. (Attached details below)

Mine was an American import and Iain changed out the Transformer for a 230V Ampeg one last year.
This time the amp had an intermittent fault that eventually failed altogether. Turned out to be the power relays that Iain replaced and repaired some board connectors that he thought were a bit suspect. He also cleaned the various pots on front panel which were crackling a bit.
Total cost for this repair was circa £100 so not too bad i thought.

He knows his stuff and has worked on several Ampegs over the years altho he's relatively young. Nice guy and great to deal with. Easy to park outside his workshop too. Plenty of spaces every time i've been in but parking meters can be expensive there so i usualy just call him when i get there and he comes to front door takes the amp or returns it saving on parking fees. :)

Dave
[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]
[b]224 West Regent Street, Glasgow G2 4DQ[/b][/size][/font][/color]

[url="http://www.glse.co.uk/#"]premises location picture[/url]
[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]
telephone [b][size=3]0141 204 0111[/size][/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]
mobile [b][size=3]07939 420 680[/size][/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]
email [email="[email protected]"][b][email protected][/b][/email][/size][/font][/color]