Why become a member? ×

H&S basses

mikety

Hey there,
so I just won a 6 string H&S bass for 100 squid ([url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=280279268373"]sixer[/url]). I've never heard of these before but even if it works I'll be pelased with the chance to try out a six for that price.

Can always mod it, particularly the pickups. Anyway, has anyone ever heard of/know anything about this bass?

Thanks,

Mike

H&S is a European brand, there used to be German Ebay shops selling loads of these a year or so back, including some quite nice-looking Steinberger copies - there was a twin neck fretted/fretless which attracted a bit of attention around here.

I've seen H&S basses & guitars in shops in Europe so I think it's an established enough brand, although I've never played one myself. I'd probably expect reasonable budget-level quality & construction, it'll probably be OK but might want a bit of tweaking & tidying to make it great.

Jon.

you may wish to read this interesting thread [topic="16288"]H&S Rip Off[/topic]

From what I can gather they have either gone out of business or have changed their name as their website no longer exists.
Looking at their models they were generic chinese imports. They sold an headless bass that was identical to a few I sold.
They touted them as custom models with a wait of approx 30 days from ordering to receiving. It looked to me as though they they were taking orders and when they had a few were then ordering from china or some supplier.
I think the Steinberger copies were approx £129.00 ( I sold about 3 for £79.00) they were bargain basement stuff that a few people were selling and the price was reflected in the quality.
If you have a picture of your 6 string I may be able to tell you its origins as I bought a lot of samples from several chinese producers.

EDIT
just noticed your photo and for what you paid it looks excellent. If the set-up is good on it and it plays nice then enjoy it.
You will probably find that upgrading the pickups will make a vast improvement in the sound as will decent electronics.
To keep the price down inexpensive pups and electrics were fitted and they tend to let down what are good solid basses

Edited by Prosebass