Why become a member? ×

Single jack to twin speakon?

Hi fellas, and yet again I am in need of a bit of help. I have just bought 2 Ashdown Mibass 1x10 cabs for the sole purpose of rehearsing, where one of these cabs will be used, and then for smaller gigs, I would use the two of them. I got them to reduce wear and tear on my Barefaced Super 12t, (and they were at a really good price..) All good so far... They are both rated at 8ohm, which again works fine with either my Puma 900, or my Ashdown Retroglide... The problem I have is that both amps only have a single speakon output socket, and both cabs only have a single jack input socket, which means I can only run one of these cabs off either amp. However, what did come with the two cabs was a plate, cut to the same shape and size as the plate on the back of the cab. This plate is installed with two speakon sockets, and wiring solderered on to the + and - tabs on the back of one of the speakon connectors. I want to replace the single jack plate on one of the cabs with the twin speakon plate, which ... (I hope) ... will allow me to run both cabs off the amp by speakon to speakon into the first cab, and then speakon to jack from the first cab into the unaltered second cab... Will this be ok, and is it a pretty straight forward thing to do... Thanks fellas...

Yeah that would work fine, just make sure that all of the +1 are touching each other, and the same for all of the -1 and have at it.

Overdo this though and take your time, rather than skimp and rush. There's a fair amount of current going through your soldering handiwork.

Hey Jack, and thanks for the reply. So if you could just let me talk through what needs to be done, it might save me destroying my amp and cabs. The wiring coming from the speaker to the jack socket on the 1x10 comprises of a red (+) and a clear (-) I presume that I remove these wires from the now defunct jack, and solder the red to the positive pin + on one of the two speakon sockets, and the negative to the - pin. I then solder the two wires that were already on one of the speakon across to the + and - on the second speakon. So what I now have are positive and negative wires coming from the speaker to the first speakon, then two short positive and negative wires from speakon one, to the corresponding positive and negative tags on speakon two. Is that it ??

Mission complete... I bought a soldering iron, and with Jacks help and advice, I have installed the new twin speakon, and it works a treat. A real bonus was there were no fires, explosions scorched eyebrows, and not even a visit to A&E.... As a rule DIY means Destroy It Yourself, but this time... a roaring success😁

it sounds like you've got this all sorted but have you considered swapping the jack socket on the second cab with a speakon? the jack sockets aren't really designed for the high currents of bass amps.

Matt