Why become a member? ×

Recommendations and reasons please!

Yukimajou

[quote name='Yukimajou' timestamp='1493819329' post='3290927']
I am gassing for a P Bass (I only have an Epi T'Bird at the mo), and was wondering if it's worth getting the [url="http://shop.fender.com/en-GB/squier-electric-basses/precision-bass/squier-classic-vibe-p-bass-70s/0303090506.html#cgid=%09squier-electric-basses&start=1"]Squier Classic Vibe[/url] for £440 or spend a couple of hundred more on a [url="http://shop.fender.com/en-GB/electric-basses/precision-bass/standard-precision-bass/0146100502.html#start=1"]MiM Fender P Bass[/url]? I don't have the option of going to try them both out, which is why I am seeking advice here. I know Squier are the budget range, but I actually prefer Epi to Gibson, so prestige isn't an issue here.

Thanks.
[/quote]

I'd go with the Classic Vibe. They're great basses and I don't find the standard Mexican one being worth the extra £200.

I had a CV 60s in Fiesta Red and it was a beast. Superb.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1493830654' post='3291103']
+1

The best Precision(s) i've had in my hands were two Classic 50's MIM basses. Only sold both as i use 5 strings verytime. Light, comfortable and great sounding basses that cost(ed) what i considered to be a fair price for the product. Would be my first choice if i ever find myself in need of a P.
[/quote]

I have a Classic 50s myself and I agree. Personally I'd get the Classic Vibe or a Classic 50s if the budget is there.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1493850003' post='3291360']
I would go with the mim Fender. Only because the hardware is slightly better than on the Squier, even the top end Squier versions have similar quality hardware to the lower end ones. Which is useable and works but not as durable as the Mexican Fender hardware in my opinion.
[/quote]

I'm sorry but that is just... plain wrong.

CV series Squier hardware have nothing to envy any other instruments and it would work and last a lifetime. :rolleyes:

I keep looking at other p-basses - MIM, USA, etc. but I can't find anything that feels as comfortable and as well made as my Matt Freeman Squier. Bought a VM Fretless P Bass. The quality control is as good. Really impressed.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1494353256' post='3295296']
I'm probably in the minority here but I love my Squier. I have a MIM jazz fretless and that is very nice too. The difference in quality is negligible, especially if you find a Squier from this millennium.
[/quote]

There's nothing wrong with Squier as a brand, they have made some decent basses but the current CV ones (70's inspired with the black blocks) just aren't very good IMO - when I was buying a P I'd have really liked to have liked them & was originally thinking of getting one but after you've spent a few weeks playing every model of P you can get your hands on you get more of a feel of what's what & those Squiers were probably the worst basses I'd played in the period.