Why become a member? ×

Opinions on ampeg svt- pro 6 and a small cab as a gigging rig

MrTea

I've just switched back to bass after a few years lost in the guitar wilderness and have a new gigging band that have a few shows already lined up for the rest of the year. I'd picked up an Ashdown RM420 2x10 combo for rehearsals as it was cheap but I'm already beginning to worry about it pulling it's weight in live shows. We'll be playing mainly pub gigs and functions and mostly 50s and 60s rock and roll material.

I was thinking of switching to a head and small cab as it gives a bit more flexibility going forwards and have seen an ampeg svt-6 pro that i quite fancied. Does anyone have any opinions on these?

Also, is there a cheaper option to a barefaced compact that would work with this in the short term until i can find a 2nd hand barefaced and/or replenish the funds?

Any opinions much appreciated!

I have an SVT6 pro as my main amp and it's fantastic. The semi parametric eq takes a bit of getting the hang of but once you understand it you can get pretty much any sound you want from it. the amp has a big valve sound and as much headroom as you will ever need.
It has a really good DI out with level control and ground lift too. There doesn't seem to be many of these around , so if you find one at a decent price then it would be well worth snapping up.