Why become a member? ×

Who Buys Downloads From Independent Artists?

BigRedX

[quote name='Jecklin' timestamp='1493139136' post='3285990']
A timely thread.

After the post on digital aggregators I too have been going over download sales figures in some depth.
The gigs I've done recently where I have lugged CDs or Vinyl with me I have sold well and it annoys me I didn't pursue this more last year.

What I'm seeing now is that my bandcamp sales are falling off considerably.
I'll assume that's not because people don't like my stuff as I'm still clocking up a lot of complete listens, but this no longer translate into downloads even free ones! So folks are using my bandcamp presents simply to stream from. They don't consider "owning" a download as important.

This has made me reconsider my strategy behind the album I want to record this year:
If I release it on bandcamp I doubt I'll sell many/any.
I'll only sell physical copies at gigs, so I need to carefully consider how many physical items to press.
I wasn't going to put it on spotify, but now see it may be worth it as a loss leading exercise to reach an audience I otherwise wouldn't. Hopefully they will come to my gigs......

A great deal of my friends ONLY use spotify for their listening.
I don't use it at all as a lot of music I listen to is not on there and I also begrudge being forced to use the internet as my main means of accessing "my" music.
However this is not how most people operate these days.
[/quote]Yes, I wasn't going to put our latest album on Spotify, but loads of people seem to be using it as their man source of music these days, me included

I ripped all my CDs to a big HDD about 5 years ago and dumped all the plastic boxes (9 bin liners full). These days I buy vinyl for lower risk purchases or where audio quality and mastering chain is a known quantity but buy D/L in preference to CD. I've had no end of stuff from bandcamp and via sites such as boomkat and bleep. Some of the D/L are 24/96 anyway and were still cheaper than the 16/44 polycarbonate disc. If I were in a position to release any material, I'd probably go for the D/L via bandcamp option and maybe press up a deluxe vinyl version in low numbers.