Why become a member? ×

5 string advice. Very specific requirements though....

funkle

I basically agree with what you say. Upper strap horn changes make a big difference; I have in fact fitted an extender to my Modulus. Completely reversible but it works reasonably well.

The issue around number or frets largely relates to the overall design of the instrument; it doesn't change to overall scale length that you have to manage. The issue with most 24 fret 5 strings is how they deal with it, at least in my experience.

Edited by funkle

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1492093041' post='3277897']
I basically agree with what you say. Upper strap horn changes make a big difference; I have in fact fitted an extender to my Modulus. Completely reversible but it works reasonably well.

The issue around number or frets largely relates to the overall design of the instrument; it doesn't change to overall scale length that you have to manage. The issue with most 24 fret 5 strings is how they deal with it, at least in my experience.
[/quote]

Yep, i understood your POV, it's valid and i've seen what you mention in a lot of basses. My best advice for you is to go for a 34" bass if you're looking at off the shelf models. Stingray has the best 34" B string and i've yet to find a Yamaha with a weak B. Ibanez also make great basses with good B strings. I've tried a Fender Deluxe V from a friend and i liked the sound of it, also i've had a Sadowsky in my hands that sounded lovely.

They're out there, you just need to search and try until you find "the one". ;)