Why become a member? ×

Overdrive?

bobbass4k

I know, all i seem to do is make posts asking for advice on pedals, bear with me

I'm considering wandering in to the minefield that is midprice boutique Overdrive pedals

I've got my cherry pop fuzz, which i adore, but its a very full on synthy angry fuzz, with insane gain in the membrane, so i'm conisdering balancing it out with a low gain, more subtle overdrive, with very very good low end response.

My first thought was a cream pie (very unfortunate name), but i got very confused looking into them, no-one seems to sell them new or second hand, and they're made by 2 different companies, any cream pie experts (i'm looking at you tayste) care to clarify where i can get one, how much they generally go for etc.?

I'm also looking at a barber ltd special recipe or a humphrey audio modded bad monkey, any advice on any of these?

cheers

Edited by bobbass4k

Have you checked this out.
I have 3 one sil and one germanium which is the more mellow of the two.

This one for sale is my spare that has never been used.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=110302622762"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=110302622762[/url]

Sorry for the plug...these pedals are excellent fuzz boxes for bass or guitar.

Thanks.

I have the Bad Monkey (Humphrey modded version). I don't like the sound of it too much soloed, but it sounds AMAZING with a full band, really makes the bass stand out in the mix. My drummer and guitarist GRIN when it comes on. I have considered swapping it for a Barber LTD SR which is a very transparent sounding OD, but then I saw the Barber B-Custom Cool which is able to do the LTD standard + SR tones plus take on heavier overdrive duties as well. These have just come out and I've not heard of any bass players using them apart from a few people raving about them on the official Barber forum. If I was buying an OD I would probably try one of these on a whim.

The Polish Love pedal is getting a lot of hype on Talkbass, hand made real cheap by some guy in Poland. Can supposedly sound like a Cream Pie at low gain, but get quite crazy too.

Cream Pies are discontinued, made by Tone Factor then Mojo Hand, which I think was just a rebrand so it's all the same company. Because they're hard to find and hyped up on the interwebs, they hold their value pretty well, you could probably pick one up for about £80.

The DHA VT1 sounds amazing, but is a chunky box with a large 12v power supply - which may not be as much as an issue for you as it is for me (trying to squeeze as many 9v pedals onto a Pedaltrain Jr as I can!)

I think the B:Assmaster is a bit too insane-in-the-membrane for what you're looking for... although I really want one of those too!

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='313055' date='Oct 23 2008, 04:02 PM']I know, all i seem to do is make posts asking for advice on pedals, bear with me

I'm considering wandering in to the minefield that is midprice boutique Overdrive pedals

I've got my cherry pop fuzz, which i adore, but its a very full on synthy angry fuzz, with insane gain in the membrane, so i'm conisdering balancing it out with a low gain, more subtle overdrive, with very very good low end response.

My first thought was a cream pie (very unfortunate name), but i got very confused looking into them, no-one seems to sell them new or second hand, and they're made by 2 different companies, any cream pie experts (i'm looking at you tayste) care to clarify where i can get one, how much they generally go for etc.?

I'm also looking at a barber ltd special recipe or a humphrey audio modded bad monkey, any advice on any of these?

cheers[/quote]

If you look for a low gain, subtle overdrive, the Bad Monkey is an excellent choice.

It overdrives very nicely without losing any low freq. It can go wild if you like but at lower gain settings is great.

I modified mine for extended bass response and I also added a switch for midrange control. If you need a BM with mods send me a PM. I can make one for you.

Silent Fly

Silent Fly, one thing that pishes me off about the Humphrey version is that it's way too loud and even with the level and gain controls set to 9 o'clock it's above unity volume. Is it the same with the stock one, or has Mr Humphrey added mega gain to it? How easy would it be to change a pot or resistor to alter the range of the level control (i.ie reduce the max volume anf give me more useable range)?

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='313758' date='Oct 24 2008, 01:14 PM']Silent Fly, one thing that pishes me off about the Humphrey version is that it's way too loud and even with the level and gain controls set to 9 o'clock it's above unity volume. Is it the same with the stock one, or has Mr Humphrey added mega gain to it? How easy would it be to change a pot or resistor to alter the range of the level control (i.ie reduce the max volume anf give me more useable range)?[/quote]

I cannot comment Humphrey’s version as I never tried it and I don't know the mods he designed. From what you say, I have the feeling that it is a mod designed for guitar. I never experienced any problem like the one you described in my version though.

Regarding modding the mods :) (i.e. changing the Humphrey version) it [i]should[/i] be feasible but I cannot be sure without examining the pedal.

My guess is that changing the pot might be difficult because Digitech uses small pots that are not easy to find. Moreover, it is also possible that changing the value of the pot will not result in a more balanced volume control.

I would recommend you to contact Humphrey to find out if there is a simple solution to this. Alternatively, you can sell the Humphrey-BM and buy a stock one. :huh:

Silent Fly

thanks for the advice people, i'll probably end up going for a bad monkey, a cream pie's gonna be too hard/pricey to get hold of, and a barber's gonna be too pricey. Looking into it HA does 2 mods, a regular one a bass specific one, but i'll probably have to import on form america, so i'll give you a pm silent fly and see how your prices compare

cheers people