Why become a member? ×

New active bass now inactive

scrumpymike

If I hadn't personal experience I'd probably thing the same negative thoughts.
But I have. A few times.

It does seem ridiculous to use cheap switches/sockets when you go to so much effort and detail with other parts like bridges, pickups etc... and especially the build and finish. To be honest, the build on the whole is where it's at -and it is flawless- and a stupid socket is not going to make me change my mind.
But it does seem strange. My latest, the Jake/Jazz came with Schaller straplocks, and they always include the gigbag and a very nice leather strap... it just doesn't sound like the operation who would compromise quality to save 2 quid, you know?

My first Jake (P/JJ) was ok. I replaced the P pickup because I wanted something else, so I saw the soldering work etc... no problem there. Pretty tidy. The reverse P Jake I am installing a MMSR preamp in, so I removed the electronics... again they look just fine to me. I haven't checked the Jake-Jazz one, but I know it's the lightest sweetest Jazz with the best neck (I specified dimensions and finish) I have ever played... If I have to replace the socket one day, I will. I'll be thinking "really? come on", but I'll be enjoying a superbly made bass.

Do try them before dismissing them for the sake of a couple of quid (I am pretty handy with a soldering iron, I have to admit, do none of that is an issue... it takes minutes)... remember they can make exactly what you want. I am sure if you want a switchcraft socket from the beginning you can specify it. Anything I asked for was possible. Some of my options did not add anything to the price, and others were minimal. You *can* get what you want. If you ask.